Range Cooker Cabling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of ripping out the kitchen and as part of the re-working a new Stoves Electric Induction Range cooker is being fitted. I have a sparky (currently on holiday until 17th) coming in to do the wiring when we get to that stage however when re-lining the walls etc I was going run in the cabling ready for him to connect at either end.

In his absence and to avoid delay I just wanted to double check cable spec, he said 10mm would be fine with the current 40amp breaker but it looks to small having looked at the specs a bit closer. Cooker consumption breaks down as:

Hob - Total if all in use 14.7kw (5 plates in total)
Cavity 1 - 2.7kw grill
Cavity 2 - 40kw oven
Cavity 3 - 40kw oven

I was assuming you had to work on the full loading and this seems to be a lot of draw for a 10mm cable and 40amp breaker however, the spec sheet we initially looked at specified a fuse size of 32A (as does that supplied with the cooker).

Hopefully I have got my knickers in a knot over nothing however any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hopefully I have got my knickers in a knot over nothing .

You certainly have!

40KW is 173amps @230volts!
Maybe it says 40KWh??

All of that is academic. Each of the items may have sizeable power requirements, but supply sizing is done using a technique called diversity. This judges that there will never be a time when everything is on 100% .
Need to know the make and model of the Stoves cooker. Better, what do the installation instructions say about the supply requirements?

Even 4kW would be a lot for an oven, they are usually 2kW-3kW depending on size. It is possible though if it has top/bottom/fan heating and you can put several elements on at a time. I have an multi function oven that can do combination cooking with grill and fan together.

Are you sure it doesn't say 4.0?

Sponsored Links
Wow! 40kW Oven Lights! They don't even mean 4kW. Probably 40W.

It's all there in the specs:

The load of the hob is shown near the top:
  • x1 Large Burner (2.3kW – 3.7kW)
  • x2 Medium Burners (1.6kW – 3.0kW), x1 Medium Burner (1.4kW – 3.0kW)
  • x1 Small Burner (1.15kW – 2.0kW)
The oven loadings are shown for each cavity:

Cavity 1 ) Power (kW) Oven (1.3kW) grill (2.7kW)
Cavity 2) Power (kW) 2
Cavity 3) Power (kW) 2.5

The load for the oven lights is also given for each cavity and that is where the typ[os are.

Thanks very much for pointing out the obvious!
I will continue with the 10mm cable as per our original discussion and look forward to lighting the local football pitch with the 40kW lighting!

Note the link you provided says
Power supply 230V
Fuse size (A) 32
So 6mm would be adequate.I would put in 10mm, then you'll be future-proof for almost anything.

Note the link you provided says
Power supply 230V
Fuse size (A) 32
So 6mm would be adequate.I would put in 10mm, then you'll be future-proof for almost anything.

Thanks I have a length of 10mm left from fitting a power shower a few years ago so I figured us that and then as you say who knows what the future will hold but I should be able to power it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back