Range Powermax 155x

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into my new flat and the boiler doesnt seem to work.

It is a Range Powermax 155x and must have been installed when the building was new just over 3 years ago.

when turned on it makes some noises and then after about 1-2 mins the lock out light turns on, the burner light has never turned on. the pressure was at about 1.5-2 bar and the last time I tried it I was playing with the water shut off valves to see if they were on and the pressure went up to nearly 3 bar. At this point I turned it all off as it was obvious something was wrong.

does anyone have any idea what the problem could be and the best person to call out? I have no instructions either, does anyone know where I can get a copy?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
In your County then I can recommend Dick to sort it out for you.

If you have purchased the property and the boiler was warranted as working then the seller will have an involvement.

It sounds as if either there is no gas supply or there is a fault.

If you have gas for cooking then the boiler is probably faulty. maybe call th seller and say how disappointed you are to find its not working and tell them you will be looking for compensation and repair costs. They may send out their favourite Dick.

These are not the most favourite boilers and BG managed to kill someone (s) with one recently not too far from you. It may be better to get Baxi/Potterton to come and fix it about £225 including parts or so we are told.

Tony

yes check they haven't turned off the gas supply. Quite tricky to get someone to work on these at the moment with everyone trying to palm them off onto someone else.

We go into the more accessable parts of Berkshire but probably not to a 155 because a second visit is likely to be needed to bring spares and our single fixed fee repair becomes rather unprofitable in that case.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, am I being stupid but who is Dick?

Just out of interest how did BG kill someone with one?

Agile what is your company? costs? Im in Ascot.

Thanks

am I being stupid but who is Dick?
No you aren't, he's someone who never uses this forum :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Just out of interest how did BG kill someone with one?
Leaky gasket apparently, but the truth isn't out there, yet. They DO need more than general gas knowledge to go into deeply. Basic stuff is standard on them though.

burner gasket was leaking....i suspect that particular engineer was lazy

the 155 is not a bad boiler if set up right and looked after. ive got one at home. you need to find a non cowboy company to look after them as too many of the small comapnies are scared of them because they havent got a clue how it works.

Hi again, the problem was that the boiler had been standing for 6 months and the pumps had siezed, after a bit of manipulation the pumps turned nicely again and the system works fine.

However, I have another problem in that, when the boiler fires it takes 2-3 attemps to light up, the burner light comes on but then goes out, on the 2nd or 3rd attempt it stays on. On a couple of occations it has failed to light and the lock out light comes on, I turn the boiler off and then on again and it works. The last time it happened I had to turn the boiler on and off about 5 times.

Is this a common problem? Does anyone know of these symptons?

Thanks

the chances are, either your electrodes need replacing, or your gas valve needs setting up correctly. both jobs for a POWERMAX COMPETANT CORGI

it will if it falls below 0.5 bar !

a good service normally sorts this problem out with electrodes being the most likely problem ;)

mani said:
Pressure runs at about 1.5 bar when hot.

Assuming it's a sealed system, it should be about 1 bar with the system at less than 40 degC and the CH off.
Pressure increases normally as the boiler and system heats up, but shouldn't exceed 2.5 bar with the system hot.

And there's an automatic air vent at the top centre back of the boiler. Loosen the red cap and see if any air is released, you'll hear it hiss. Re-tighten cap. Air can collect in the top of the boiler, causing the low water level lock-out to operate.

These are User/ Operating tasks. Read the manual. If it's not that, you'll have to look for a competent technician.

Seems to be working fine now, if it is the electrodes would it be an intermittent probelm like it seems to be?

I loosened the red cap on the top of the boiler and heard no hissing, I carried on undoing until it came off, I was expecting water to come out?

thanks

mani said:
I loosened the red cap on the top of the boiler and heard no hissing, I carried on undoing until it came off, I was expecting water to come out?

thanks

It's a float operated automatic air vent. The red cap is to seal it. It's left loose for a few weeks after filling, to get all the air out of the system, after that no more air should get in.

They can stick open, so it's best to leave the red cap screwed down.

No air came out, so air wasn't the problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back