ravenheat ls80 faulty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fitted a ravenheat LS80 combi boiler in march this year, it seemed to work ok although the gas would not modulate as the hot water flow was reduced. Then after about a month it would more often than not refuse to ignite, the relays clicked in & out rapidly, very often the fan would not start & if it did start the boiler would usually shut down at the point when the burner should ignite. I have changed the main pcb and this made little difference. However a week ago the thing decided to start working again but the boiler still will not modulate the gas and the hot water temp is down, adjusting the pot on the pcb makes no difference. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
sludge said:
I fitted a ravenheat LS80 combi boiler in march this year
Then it's still under guarantee. Why are you repairing it? Because it's an illegal installation?

I bought the boiler last year & it was out of guarantee before it was installed, not a wise move I admit.
How do you define an illegal installation?

Not a condensing boiler for a start, not notified to Building Control for another. Did you have a Corgi do the critical bits?

Sponsored Links
Ravenheat are a very helpful company.

If the boiler had been installed by a registered CORGI engineer who had completed the Benchmark Certificate then I expect that they would have commenced the guarantee from the installation date.

You apparently fitted the boiler yourself. If you are not experienced in installing boilers and not trained in gas matters then there are a whole multitude of faults which could be present due to installation errors.

I hope that this will act as a lesson to all those who think about cutting corners and not having the boiler professionally checked and commissioned by a qualified person.

Tony

Well thanks guys.
I don't see the multitude of installation faults that would cause a boiler to develop a fault after it worked initially.
Ravenheat LS80 boilers were still on sale until june this year in B&Q, Why did ravenheat sell boilers that are illegal to install in 99% of homes? & if they don't like diy installation why do they sell in diy outlets?.
I bought this boiler before the law changed & only found that the law had changed when I tried to get a corgi engineer to commission the boiler, obviously they would not touch it, it was on the wall by now, what was I to do? Bin it?, I still have a receipt for the boiler from before the law changed. doesn't sound like much of a crime to me.

Perhaps you dont see any installation faults because you have not been trained as a gas engineer.

In spite of what you dont see you have already admitted that """it seemed to work ok although the gas would not modulate as the hot water flow was reduced. Then after about a month it would more often than not refuse to ignite, the relays clicked in & out rapidly, very often the fan would not start & if it did start the boiler would usually shut down at the point when the burner should ignite."""

I think that your own listing of problems can justifiably be described as a "multitude of faults".

As you should well know, and as B&Q clearly state on prominent notices in their plumbing department "Gas appliances should be installed by a CORGI" Although B&Q sell products its up to the buyer to ensure they meet his requirements and any appropriate regulations.

You chose to fit the boiler yourself regardless and now have a boiler which does not meet the building regulations, has no guarantee and does not work properly.

I can see no alternative to having a competent engineer diagnose the various faults and repair them. Obviously that will cost some money, something you seem to have wanted to avoid spending.

Tony

Ok Mr corgi
If you read my last posting YOU will have noticed that I wanted it commissioned by corgi but couldn't because it was not a condensing boiler, I also explained the reason for this was the delay between purchase & installation. I don't think its your business to accuse me of cutting corners, I'm looking for advice not criticism. Maybe you can explain how my installation could result in no modulation?. But then perhaps gas valves aren't your strong point.

There is nothing to stop a CORGI from commissioning your boiler if he agrees to. If you were to ask CORGI they would tell you its safer having the boiler properly commissioned. I often commission non CORGI fitted boilers!

The only thing a CORGI cannot do is to fill in the Benchmark as the installer or to notify CORGI of the installation in liu of notifying Building Control. If the details of the non-reg installer working for profit are known we are expected to notify the details to CORGI. That does not apply to an owner/occupier fitting his own boiler.

I would like to think that I am familiar with all parts of a boiler. However I do not give advice on matters involving gas safety aspects to anyone unless I am totally confident that they are competent to work safely with gas.

Tony

Sludge the diy installation is contrary to the regs if it was done by someone who is not "competent" - though that isn't defined fully.

I recently did a formal Safety Check on a property, where everything was safe to use, but BG found that there was no record that the boiler had been installed by a Corgi or inspected by Building Control(as would be needed for a diy installation). BG wouldn't put it on breakdown cover.

Commissioning is just part of the appliance installation. All of the installation has exactly the same requirement for a "competent person" to do it. (Who also has to be corgi regd if not the householder, loosely)

Thought I would return to let you know the outcome of my boiler fault. Still don't know the exact details of the fault but a very helpful & competent young Polish chap fixed it for £35! ( he knows his gas but not the language),
Thanks all.

You implied earlier that you wanted to operate within the law.

Your Polish fellow was not registered with CORGI and that clearly demonstrates to me that you intentionally cut corners even when that involves using someone working ilegally.

Tony

I too am not happy that you used people who cannot read or follow instructions in the manual to fit your boiler and are not properly qualified to do the work.
However I assume you did this for one of the following reasons
1 You are a skinflint.
2 You are poor.
3 You couldn't get anyone qualified to do it.

If its the first of those then stay cold and read no further. I am telling you nowt!

:LOL:

For reason 2 or 3 Get a corgi guy to check that the venturi collar on the flue is at 90º to the direction of the flue.

It is also imperative the the casing seals are in the correct position. Make sure that they are intact. If there is a whistling noise the case isnt on properly. Screw the case on from left to right or the other way if it is easier. Offer the qualified engineer a small screwdriver to locate the screwholes as he progresses across the casing

Well thanks Slugbabydotcom. you are the only one to offer any advice at all & Im gratefull.
Its reason 3. Im told that a pro could have checked it out for me but I rang four corgis and they all said no. I don't like dealing with these people but had to do it. For what its worth I feel I have got my fingers burt a bit (not by the boiler though). Reading through this forum I don't think I will touch gas again. Maybe next year have a condensing boiler fitted properly, if Im alive.
Thanks again.
Sludge

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back