RCBO board.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hard to imagine, I know, but after 20 odd years in the business, I've just done my first all-RCBO board change! (No pix, I'm afraid...)

Well, John, you've sold me short! You didn't tell me what a PITA they are to fit....

Seriously, the boards need a good redesign to make them easier, seeing as this is the way things are going.

How about:

1. Much more headroom for outgoing cables in the boards as the RCBO's rob most of it, especially where you have cables coming in from the rear.

2. A second earth busbar just for the functional earths, so you don't have to put two unequal-sized conductors under one screw.

3. More room for the 600mm long neutral tails (loathe to cut them as they were nicely crimped at the ends).

4. One module DP RCBO's to be developed.

5. Redesign of RCBO to make terminating the circuit neutrals easier. I ended up connecting the circuit neutrals to the RCBO's before attaching them to the DIN rail, but that meant leaving extra length on them, thus reducing the room available in the board even more... :rolleyes:

Anyone want to modify or add to this list??

Sponsored Links
RCBOs aren't all they are cracked up to be are they?

SP not much good for TT anyhow.

Sponsored Links
Hard to imagine, I know, but after 20 odd years in the business, I've just done my first all-RCBO board change! (No pix, I'm afraid...)

Don't want to hijack the post, but here's a piccy of my first one that I did recently - replacement of old rewireable box.

Agree with all your points, especially no 2 - the functional earth leads are so much thinner that I could see them slipping out easily if not very carefully checked every time.

I did cut the neutral tails because of room, but it did seem a shame I agree. Maybe ferrules are the way to go (will a normal crimper not do those?)

What brand did you use? I used Wylex because my supplier was doing a good deal on them - 21.99 + vat each, so it didn't work out much worse than a dual rcd board, and I extolled the virtues to the customer (John would be proud :LOL: )

I notice that B&Q have MK rcbos in at not much more though (and cheaper than my supplier could do) so perhaps I will check those out next time.

I've also experimented with some BS 8436 cable on another job extending a lighting circuit, but that was just as much a PITA to be honest....

Gavin

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back