RCBO Ways

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im replacing the MCB's in my board with RCBO's and my question is this: Do lights need to be on RCBO's streight away? I only ask as the RCBO's for my board are quite expensive and I will be getting them as and when I can. All of my switches are plastic. I plan to do the whole board but im starting with sockets etc.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
if the original installation and any additional work was carried out to the circuit before July 2008, RCD/RCBO protection is/was not required.

Do lights need to be on RCBO's streight away?
No, as you are doing it this way, it's up to you.

You are right to do the sockets first.

However I would do the lights next as it's not only for electrical safety.
The lights going out at night because of a fault in the immersion heater, for example, can be dangerous in other ways.

I am assuming a group of circuits is protected by an RCD.

Do lights need to be on RCBO's streight away?
No, as you are doing it this way, it's up to you.

You are right to do the sockets first.

However I would do the lights next as it's not only for electrical safety.
The lights going out at night because of a fault in the immersion heater, for example, can be dangerous in other ways.

I am assuming a group of circuits is protected by an RCD.

The current board config is: Main 100a Switch -> MCB's and there is no room in its current location to fit a dual RCD board hence the RCBO's

Sponsored Links
What also must be taken in to consideration, is by removing MCBs and installing RCBO.
You have gone it to the realms of notifiable work :!:

Yes it will all be tested. thanks
If that's the case? I have very little to add!
Other than......
If you intend to replace all the MCBs with RCBOs, it would have been much cheaper to replace the board with dual RCD one.
You will not end up with all circuits individually protected though.
But at £25-35 a RCBO can be quite costly!

Yes it will all be tested. thanks
If that's the case? I have very little to add!
Other than......
If you intend to replace all the MCBs with RCBOs, it would have been much cheaper to replace the board with dual RCD one.
You will not end up with all circuits individually protected though.
But at £25-35 a RCBO can be quite costly!

I would love to save cash and go down the dual RCD route but the location where the board is, is too small to accept one so I have to use a small 8 way board with a plain 100a isolator

What also must be taken in to consideration, is by removing MCBs and installing RCBO.
You have gone it to the realms of notifiable work :!:

Have you? I would say it's exempt from notification under 1(a) of Building Regulations Schedule 4:

1. Work consisting of—

(a) replacing any fixed electrical equipment which does not include the provision of—

(i) any new fixed cabling, or

(ii) a consumer unit;

As debated at length recently:
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=286025&start=0

Like my previous post stated, it is not a requirement to install RCD/RCBO protection, unless work was carried out after July 2008.

Just to make it clear, this is a requirement if you want or need to comply with BS7671:2008. There's no fundamental electrical reason why it's necessary, and as BS7671 is not mandatory, no legal requirement either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back