rccd problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm presently having a similar problem, test button doesn't make the RCCD to operate, even after changing for a brand new. It is not for a home installation, it's for a service box we provide to industrial European customers for them to safely test our current inverters.

RCCD internal test circuit is (I assume) simply a switch in series with a resistor of a proper value to give to right leakeage current to make the device trip.
I really suspected the test button or trip setting inadequate, so I made a simple test setup.
My RCCD is a 25A, 30mA, 230/415V.
I first tried to test it at 208V, 3ph, as it is a common voltage in Canada.
Doesn't trip at all. So, is it possible that the current is just below the one that could trip the device as my voltage is lower?
Used my 3ph variac to raise it to 260V, yet it doesn't trip.
So I put a resistor with a value to bring a leakage just below the 30mA required to trip, so a 10ko to bring it to 24mA @ 240V, between the phase where test button connects and to neutral.
Power it up, no trip, hit the trip button, it trips.
So here is the proof the device works as intended BUT test button trip setting (internal R value) is inadequate, thus not working.
I'm just wondering now if I try to be refounded by the German manufacturer of these devices and select another one or I just add a resistor with a proper value and enough wattage to make the whole thing work properly.
The only drawback will be that any small leakage will be detected, i.e. making it very sensitive, but as it is not to put multiple loads like in a home, that will be ok and still safe.

Sponsored Links
I shall not bother to read all that again.

All the RCCB needs is the same current on both sides, L & N, if the test button doesn't work then the device is faulty.

With different currents on L & N, you won't be able to switch it on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back