RCD or Not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

I realise that this DIY forum, but realise that there are some pro's on site.
My question is to them : Is this config ok?

Non RCD ------- GF lights, FF lights, Immersion, Fan Oven

RCD ------------ Shower, GF sockets, FF sockets

Also can the downstairs sockets be moved to non RCD as my garage has RCD
socket and is on the socket ring (this is all original - house is 1994 build)

Sponsored Links
The arrangement you describe was quite acceptable for new work until quite recently. No reason to alter it as this is an existing installation, and this was acceptable at the time.

Nowadays RCD has to be considered for bathrooms, all sockets and cables concealed in walls 50 mm less below the surface.

It would be foolish to remove your groundfloor sockets from the RCD, partly because some sockets will be prone to use for outdoor use. Also you are making the sockets less safe.

What are you trying to do?

Hi thanks for reply, Since stumbling across this site I have noticed that many people have duel RCD board that look similar to the wylex one I have. I wondered whether it was worth upgrading to 2 RCD's
There seems to be a lot of conflicting advise on here about what should be protected or not.
I have just moved recently and have safety in mind.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Understand you want to be as safe as possible, but before RCDs we didn't have conspicuously high electrocution rates. The latest version of the Wiring Regulations, which brought us the dual RCD board, was put together by a committee where manufacturers predominate. Of course, only a cynic would point out who benefits from increased sales of RCDs and RCBOs ....

PJ

Hmmm... see what your getting at. I have noticed that my Sisters house was built in mid 80's and it has black MEM rewirable fuses - they have never had any bother with their electrics.
When did mcb's first have to be fitted on new installations?

Hmmm... see what your getting at. I have noticed that my Sisters house was built in mid 80's and it has black MEM rewirable fuses - they have never had any bother with their electrics.
When did mcb's first have to be fitted on new installations?

You sure its re-wireables? IRC correctly those MEM boards were the alternative to the wylex standard, and likewise could take re-wireables and cartridge fuses by simply swapping the carrier, by mid 80's cartridge fuses were generally being fitted to both makes of board

To answer your question ...They didn't and they don't, the regulations still recognise re-wireable fuses although they are 'discouraged' for new installations.

Meeting the RCD requirements is quite tricky with an an old style fuseboard, though wylex did produce a split load wylex standard unit for a while

Cartridge fuses are still widely used, and will be for a long time yet on for aplications such as supply cut-outs, and submain protection (can often be better suited to the design than MCCBs)

Its definitely re- wireable. It may have been built 1984. Btw its shepherd homes so I wouldn't be surprised.
Ours is also shepherd and I was surprised to find that all sockets on both ring mains are not switched AND they favoured fitting many single sockets where really they should have had double!
The kitchen only had 1 single socket and 1 socket on cooker cu! at worktop height.

ohh ..and rubbish Y-plan central heating system which is not an efficient system for a house built in 94 (IMO)

ok rant over :)

WHY are you considering this?[/quote]

Just asking a question based on reading that it preferrable to have upstairs and downstairs sockets on seperate circuits

It appears, from your first post, the up and down sockets are on separate circuits - they are just on the same (and only) RCD.

It appears, from your first post, the up and down sockets are on separate circuits - they are just on the same (and only) RCD.

Sorry, meant to say seperate RCD's. Would it be better to use dual RCD's now instead of the unprotected circuits?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back