rcd protection.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
new ring into kitchen would be protected by a spare fuse in a rewireable fuse box.do they have to have rcd sockets fitted to all of the outlets,or can they just be normal switched sockets.

Sponsored Links
sockets that can reasonably be expected to supply portable equipment used outdoors should be protected by an RCD.

You aren't obliged to protect others but it is sensible to do so, especially in a kitchen which has taps and watery electrical appliances.

But if you are having a new ring installed, this would be a good tiime to have your ropy old rewirable CU replaced with a nice new one with RCD or RCBOs

New circuits, electrical work in kitchens, and CU changes are all notifiable work under building regs.

thanks johnd,i was just chatting to someone who is having the work done,he is'nt contemplating renewing his cu,so i said i would ask on here,does he have to have the sockets rcd protected?,could he have a a shower type rcd box fed from his spare fuse,or as mentioned rcd sockets,

You aren't obliged to protect them but it is sensible to do so, especially in a kitchen which has taps and watery electrical appliances.

Rather than running a small CU off a spare way in an sold fusebox, have a main switch fitted and a Henly block and a new CU, and put the new circuit(s) on that. get one big enough to run the whole house on, as that old fusebox is overdue for replacement.

I expect the house's earthing and bonding are also due for upgrade.

This is all notifiable work.

Sponsored Links
If he doesn't want the CU changed then you can fit a separate RCD in a separate enclosure after the fuse. Should only add £25-£30 to the parts bill.

New CU is probably neater though...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back