New Kitchen - CU/RCD question

S

SplanK

Hello
We are looking at re-fitting our kitchen we have been given 2 sets of advice regarding Part P and RCD requirments. At the moment, our consumer unit has 1 RCD switch which protects *ALL* rings on the CU - so if something causes it to trip - ALL the power goes out in the house. Each ring is protected by a fuse.

I know that the kitchen falls under Part P, so that moving sockets, adding additional sockets to an existing ring would require it to be re-certified and thus RCD protected.

I have been told that we will either need a new consumer unit (with RCD protection per individual rings) OR an individual RCD box for the kitchen.
I have also been told that the consumer unit we have should be more than enough due to all rings been RCD protected already... I can see where he is coming from but was unsure if this was correct?

Can anybody advice if we do need a "new" RCD protected ring for the kitchen OR if our existing CU with a single "protect all" RCD would be enough?

Sponsored Links
I know that the kitchen falls under Part P, so that moving sockets, adding additional sockets to an existing ring would require it to be re-certified and thus RCD protected.
Not just the kitchen, Part P (in fact all of the Building Regulations) applies to any work whatsoever on fixed electrical cables or fixed electrical equipment located on the consumer’s side of the electricity supply meter which operate at low or extra-low voltage and are—
(a) in or attached to a dwelling;
(b) in the common parts of a building serving one or more dwellings, but excluding power supplies to lifts;
(c) in a building that receives its electricity from a source located within or shared with a dwelling; or
(d) in a garden or in or on land associated with a building where the electricity is from a source located within or shared with a dwelling.

All of the following answers assume that the RCD is a 30mA one.

I have been told that we will either need a new consumer unit (with RCD protection per individual rings) OR an individual RCD box for the kitchen.
Whoever told you that was either ignorant or was trying to scam you for extra work.

I have also been told that the consumer unit we have should be more than enough due to all rings been RCD protected already... I can see where he is coming from but was unsure if this was correct?
It was.

Can anybody advice if we do need a "new" RCD protected ring for the kitchen OR if our existing CU with a single "protect all" RCD would be enough?
It complies with the regulations which apply to the work you're having done. It doesn't comply with the ones which look at your installation as a whole but you aren't doing a rewire or replacing the CU so they don't apply, and there's no requirement to bring old installations up to date.

But if the RCD is not 30mA you will need a new CU or a separate RCD for the kitchen. And then the same for any other modifications you make in the future, so the former would be better.

Sponsored Links
What a fully comprehensive and helpful answer.

You can't please some people.

Where's the thanks?

Martin

Thanks Ban-All-Sheds - that is a huge help :)

Just taken another look at the CU - and it has 1 ^ n 0.03a (the ^ is a triangle) so am I safe to assume that it is a 30mA trip or is this mark representing something else??

Where's the thanks?

geez - give people a chance - as soon as I posted this I was out to a wedding function - people can't be glued on here 24/7 hoping for an answer!

Just taken another look at the CU - and it has 1 ^ n 0.03a (the ^ is a triangle) so am I safe to assume that it is a 30mA trip or is this mark representing something else??
That's a 30mA RCD, so it will be fine, and will comply with the regulations for protection of sockets and concealed cables.

That's a 30mA RCD, so it will be fine, and will comply with the regulations for protection of sockets and concealed cables.

awesome - thank you very much for your help - should be able to filter out those kitchen suppliers who want to drain additional money from me for work thats not needed :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back