RCD requirements poll

When a diyer want to add a socket should we go on and on about RCD Protection

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The cables to the socket will require RCD protection in the majority of circumstances, and while certain installation methods could be used to avoid installing an RCD, DIYers will not be using steel conduit or MICC as they will not have the tools or ability to install it.
Surface-mounted mini-trunking?

Sponsored Links
My position, all along, is that non-compliance with BS 7671 over something like RCD protection is non-compliance with the law.
And yet you refuse to apply the reasoning you use to come to that conclusion to making the installation even safer by going beyond what BS7671 requires, so I'm not going to go over it all again.

Like this, for example?
"12 years ago...."

Or this?
"10 years ago...."
But I will point something out to you:

What was considered OK in the past is not always considered OK today.

Things change.
So what has changed in the last 10-12 years which makes you think it was acceptable to suggest that people break the law by not notifying then, but that it's not acceptable to advocate it today?

And yet you refuse to apply the reasoning you use to come to that conclusion to making the installation even safer by going beyond what BS7671 requires,
That would not be reasoning.

so I'm not going to go over it all again.
TGFT

So what has changed in the last 10-12 years which makes you think it was acceptable to suggest that people break the law by not notifying then, but that it's not acceptable to advocate it today?
My opinion.

Sponsored Links
Why has your opinion changed to the extent that around 10-12 years ago you were openly suggesting that people just ignore the law about notifying, while today you berate, harass and generally "go on and on" about notification almost every time somebody asks a question about a notifiable job, even to the point of throwing around terms such as decent, honest, moral and so on at anyone who suggests not notifying?

I don't know why, nor do I recall any Damascene moment.

But please feel free to make yourself look even more pathetic and desperate than you already do by pretending that there must be something wrong with what I'm saying because it is wrong for a person to change their mind.

... by pretending that there must be something wrong with what I'm saying because it is wrong for a person to change their mind.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with your changing your mind, but Paul would be interested to know (and so would I, and maybe also others) why you have changed your mind on this issue.

Kind Regards, John

Actually, I don't/didn't recall.

Things change.

That's the way it works.

Get over it.

Neither convenient nor inconvenient from my POV, as what I believed decades ago is of no relevance.

Don't tell me that you too think that people should never change.

Don't tell me that you too think that people should never change.
As I said, there is absolutely nothing wrong with people changing their minds. However, if they are now strongly asserting a viewpoint which is very different from one they previously expressed, it would be nice, and helpful, to know what changed their mind.

If they cannot give a plausible explanation for a major change in expressed views/opinions, some people are likely to regard their opinions as fickle, and hence not to be taken seriously.

Kind Regards, John

But please feel free to make yourself look even more pathetic and desperate than you already do {.....}
Why do you feel the need to resort to insults when asked a simple question about why you've changed your opinion?

But if you really don't know why, I (and no doubt others) find it quite incredible that at some point, for some reason which obviously wasn't enough of an epiphany to you for you to even remember it, changed your opinion and now see fit to harangue everybody else who clearly just wants to do a safe job without getting tied up in local authority red-tape and expense, just as you were suggesting they do yourself a few years ago. It really just doesn't make sense that somebody who merely "changed his mind," for reasons he now can't even remember, should react so strongly.

Perhaps you can remember why your opinion about something else changed? Looking through those old threads I see that in that same time frame leading up to and immediately after the introduction of Part P you were looking at the notification requirements and expressing concern about the ambiguity of the wording in some of the exemptions, and the illogicality of certain jobs being exempt and others not. Yet it seems that a few years later you suddenly find it all very logical and the exemptions perfectly clear, to the extent that anyone who questions what an exemption actually means or points out an interpretation of the wording which disagrees with yours must be "hard of thinking," "mentally feeble," or whatever other derogatory term you feel like using at the time.

So can you remember when and why it all became clear and completely logical and unambiguous to you, and you suddenly realized that your mental capabilities had been lacking before?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back