RCD tripping times

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

When testing an RCD circuit to get tripping times, with a split load board should i expect all circuits on the RCD side to trip at exactly the same time?

I have just tested mine and i get a varied reading for each circuit, only about 5ms between times but does this sound ok?

Cheers, Adam

Sponsored Links
You are meant to test the RCD in isolation from the circuits. ;)
Assuming you are talking about a bog standard 30mA device, it shouldn't trip @ 15mA, should trip at 30mA in less than 300ms for a BSEN or 200ms for the old BS and less than 40ms at 150mA. Do both + and - cycles for all tests.

I have just tested mine and i get a varied reading for each circuit, only about 5ms between times but does this sound ok?

As above for correct method to test an RCD.
By testing each individual circuit you're including differing impedances so you figures may well differ slightly.

Yep, test RCD's in isolation. testing from part of a circuit that is connected will give flase/misleading results.

Sponsored Links
Don't forget, 5x test not needed for 100mA units or above.

Hi

When testing an RCD circuit to get tripping times, with a split load board should i expect all circuits on the RCD side to trip at exactly the same time?

Cheers, Adam
you only need to check if the rcd trips within the specified time. if it does then it is ok. if it trips on any circuit within 40ms x delta 5 then u are ok. there are 7 tests for an rcd altogether. u are not checking the impedance of the circuit u are checking if the rcd trips within a time when a current of 30milli amps passes it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back