Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have an extension lead used for camping would it be o/k to fit an inline rcd

250v/50hz
16amp
10ma

Sponsored Links
All campsite's 16A outlets should be protected by a 30mA RCD which is sufficient for the intended use. Although there is nothing wrong with an additional one it is a bit pointless spending out for it.
By the way, are you sure it's a 10mA rated one - they are quite unusual ?

That sort is no good - the site supply will be a 60309 outlet.

Something like this in the OP's cord after the 60309 connector is what he meant, I expect.

smj-in-line-rcd-adapter.jpg

Sponsored Links
How watertight are they? I take it they are active, some circuitry will trip upline RCDs when the test button it pressed.

To me it poses more risk than just not bothering.

Why should any caravan have a RCD when all camping sites also have to have a RCD on every outlet.

We all know why. Because not all sites follow the rules.

However where to install is another matter. Near plug would protect the cable but likely would get wet but at the socket would likely be inside the tent and although it does no protect cable it does protect the user of items plugged in.

Seen them used on building sites and they were a real pain. Mainly since the generators had an idle function when no power is drawn and when the generator went on idle the active RCD dropped out. However we had no problem with water ingress.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back