RE: Quote...seems expensive!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey ppl, we just had a quote to install a 4m approx beam on the old rear wall of the house of £1800, i have attached a pic, red lines are the old concrete lintels still in place, reason why we had to get a quote n not do it ourselves as planned is coz the family members that we hoped would help us seeing as they have all done loads of work on their houses decide they didnt wanna touch is, even though i had everything planned out for it....does anyone think this quote is too expensive......seems expensive to me as when i planned it everthing including hire of srtongboys n acro's etc came in a £550-600!
View media item 63272 View media item 63272

Sponsored Links
Your price came in at £600 doing it yourself with family members, are the builders not allowed to make a profit.

Get more quotes!

Andy

lol i know n yes they are, n we r trying its hard to find good builders in our area!

ok so letmme ask another question, i we did it ourselves did i plan the supports (strong-boys and acros) right, for the strong boys for the wall there would be 5 on one side n 4 on the other or 4 and 3 (Direction of placement shown in green) then the standard acros with scaffhold boards (Blue line) to hold celling joists up! is that sound or will the wall drop (the family members that didnt want to do it, said they didnt want to incase the wall drops or moves) View media item 63279 View media item 63279

Sponsored Links
ok so letmme ask another question, i we did it ourselves did i plan the supports (strong-boys and acros) right, for the strong boys for the wall there would be 5 on one side n 4 on the other or 4 and 3 (Direction of placement shown in green) then the standard acros with scaffhold boards (Blue line) to hold celling joists up! is that sound or will the wall drop (the family members that didnt want to do it, said they didnt want to incase the wall drops or moves) View media item 63279 View media item 63279

I have no idea whether your plan will work. I am not a builder or architect.

Your family members, for some weird reason, have decided that they have no wish to provide free labour, technical support and insurance in the event that your building has an adverse reaction to a fairly significant operation.

Now, I wonder why the builders feel justified in making a profit. :eek: ;)

Back