Re-render and a new porch - leave flashing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The front of my terrace house needs to be re-rendered (several areas blown, some areas that have been patched previously are shoddy) AND our wooden porch is quite rotten.

I don't think I can afford to replace both render and porch in one go, so was thinking of getting the porch dismantled and the rendering done first, then a new porch the following year.

There is lead flashing in the wall for the flat roof of the existing porch.

I'm thinking that it would be a shame to disturb the new render when I come to build the porch.

With this in mind would it be best to leave the flashing in situe when the new render goes on, ready for the new porch and so that the new render doesn't need to be disturbed when the new porch goes on?

Should I be planning this another way round?

Sponsored Links
If you are quite certain the new porch will have exactly the same roof line as the old one then there is nothing wrong in leaving the flashings in place.

Depending on the type of flashing you have it may be a good idea to fit a temporary timber to the line of the porch roof to support the lead. For a porch with a slate or plain tiled roof you should be able to lift the flashing later to receive lead soakers before dressing it back down again.

AlbertTrotter hi.

Agree with "blagard" leave the lead in-situ.

One observation? if the render and the porch are looking "tired" and in need of being replaced then the lead may be in the same condition? so may "benefit" from being replaced at the same time?

Not only but also a nice new [or nearly so] Lead flashing will "enhance" The entire appearance of the new porch is erected and the new render.

The lead, either new or existing, will require to be supported by a "sacrificial" suitably dimensioned timber joist sectioned bit of wood.

Ken.

Sponsored Links
It is actually quite a good idea to do this and will save you plenty of heartache in the future.

However, you must be aware that it limits your future porch build and governs everything from the roof down.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back