Re-run gas supply to boiler - options

Sponsored Links
Your Shed has had its gas meter altered by its owner BG, so has no insurance cover!!

Get your facts right before spouting your garbage riddled comments

You can't help yourself BG, you're obsessed with gas & gas installations. You've a mental health condition & are also obsessed with DIY gas work - you should be banned from this DaftyDIYers forum directly.

Yea, sorry Bernie boy but it is becoming a tad boring seeing you offer your opinion when you are neither qualified nor experienced in gas.

PS, City & Guilds in Google doesn't count.................

Yea, sorry Bernie boy but it is becoming a tad boring seeing you offer your opinion when you are neither qualified nor experienced in gas.

PS, City & Guilds in Google doesn't count.................

Oh he's a class one basket case. Him & Ban-all-sheds are complete fruit cakes!!

Sponsored Links
If you ain't qualified you should keep quiet it's better to keep your mouth shut and let folks think you,re a prat than to open your mouth and remove all doubt

I can't believe there isn't a better way to route those 2 pipes that go right across your fire opening. Not exactly a pretty site.

Not exactly keeping this on-topic, but it's been covered over with a fire surround. :) The pipes go across at the height of the mantlepiece. The best we could do in the circumstances - the RGI wasn't interested in channeling into the floor.

Anyone have any comments/suggestions/tips for me?

1. Is the 2mbar drop 'common'? 'unusual'?
2. Has the regulation for the permitted drop been decreasing over time, indicating that they might tighten the regulations in the future?

As I mentioned before, I'm not looking to get the sorted/fixed now (assuming that a 2mbar drop is even unusual - perhaps it's very common, I have no idea). I just want to be prepared in case it causes a future issue.

You'd be surprised at what different manufacturers will accept their products to be supplied at :cool:

2mbar drop is all relative..... Like I said, has the RGI read the manual? FULLY?

You mean the one who was 'concerned' about the pressure drop? I'm not at all convinced he was legitimate, despite quoting loads of regulations. He was from one of these emergency firms, because we had a leak just before we were about to go on holiday. It felt like he was on-the-clock and trying to milk an extra 1/2hr or two from us by 'finding' things that he had to look into..... We've had the guy who installed it, and a separate one come and do a safety check, and neither of them mentioned anything. Like I say, I'm gathering information in case it comes up again. :)

I mean it is all relative to the position where the pressure was measured.

Did he measure it from the P1 test point in the boiler or from a test point on the supply pipe feeding the boiler.

In other words - it looks like your boiler is bob on.

I'm a bit confused. You say you can't do any repairs as you are in a LB, but you have already had the gas pipe routed behind a fireplace by a muppet who was not interested in chasing the floor?

I'm a bit confused. You say you can't do any repairs as you are in a LB, but you have already had the gas pipe routed behind a fireplace by a muppet who was not interested in chasing the floor?

Hi,

I never said I can't do repairs. In fact, I am permitted to do any *repairs* necessary.

There are restrictions on what one is permitted to change in listed buildings - in theory, I can ask to do anything, but it needs approval by a conservation officer. They generally approve minor additions/changes and deny removal of historic fabric and changes which dramatically alter the character of the building.

We asked for (and received) permission to move the boiler from inside the chimney to its current location. The installer was reluctant to cut into the cast iron joint and so routed fresh copper back out through the chimney. The condensate/pressure release were routed across the top of the fireplace to allow an adequate fall to the outside. There was insufficient fall to route them in the floor. We did not have a gas pipe routed behind a fireplace.

The whole point of my thread is to find out what I may need to ask permission for in the future! :) Do you have any suggestions/tips for this?

Is it possible to 'tunnel' a new gas supply under an existing floor? There is another large chimney in the way, and no simple route around.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan R has already asked you the important question.

Where did he measure it from, directly on the pipework under the boiler or at the gasvalve inside the boiler?

In any case if you don't plan on adding additional appliances I wouldn't worry about it!

You know, I'm amazed at some of the 'Gas' questions on this forum. Do people simply not trust the RGIs they employ??! Or is it simply a case of the industry is completely at rock bottom with all the course Cowboys & career change chancers??!!

I'm also amazed by the questions asked by RGIs on forums etc; their lack of knowledge & experience is frankly shocking!!!

It's good to have you around Dickie...:);)

I doubt that any RGI's are being employed Dickie , the ones carrying out the work are the ones asking the questions..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back