Re-run gas supply to boiler - options

You know, I'm amazed at some of the 'Gas' questions on this forum. Do people simply not trust the RGIs they employ??! Or is it simply a case of the industry is completely at rock bottom with all the course Cowboys & career change chancers??!!

I'm also amazed by the questions asked by RGIs on forums etc; their lack of knowledge & experience is frankly shocking!!!

I think it's the inconsistencies in information that I have received which is the problem. Let me walk you through some of the story:

1. We bought the house with a 1980s boiler installed in a fireplace, vented up the chimney.
2. I had 3 RGIs round (including british gas) to quote for a replacement. 1 said they would do a straight replacement, 1 said they would do a straight replacement but would have to bring the flue out through the side of the chimney to the wall, 1 said that it was no longer legal to install it in the fireplace and would have to put it on the wall.
3. We had the boiler installed on the wall, but ran into the gas pipe issue mentioned before - possibly causing the drop in pressure.
4. We had UFH installed (who also did an annual boiler/system safety check) who noted some compliance issues.
5. We had a water leak, which has been fixed by another RGI, who noted a different couple of issues with the installation, and was worried about the pressure.

So, that's 5 different RGIs, who have all mentioned different issues, in the space of 3 years - is it any wonder I'm confused by all this? How can I trust any of these RGIs, when the information provided is so inconsistent? The usual process is:

1. A problem occurs/I need some work done (safety check/new boiler/new UFH).
2. Get an RGI round who claims all previous RGIs are 'cowboys'.
3. Get the problem fixed.
4. Goto 1.

To answer the other question, I'm afraid that I have no idea where the pressure was measured - I don't believe that he disconnected the gas at the boiler, so would have to assume that it was at the gas valve inside the boiler? Unless it's possible to easily measure from the pipework without disconnecting?

Sponsored Links
It's good to have you around Dickie...:);)

I doubt that any RGI's are being employed Dickie , the ones carrying out the work are the ones asking the questions..

Am I naive in thinking that DaftyDIYer gas work is not permitted on this forum, well, the Gas Google warriors certainly have a free hand. One even moved his own gas meter......:eek:

I could of course post the official documents from Vaillant, but that would involve getting up and walking to the office,, and I've had a "procedure" on my ooly wooly today and walking hurts.

Not looking forward to spending tomorrow going up and down ladders. :(

Sponsored Links
3.5m meter ceilings Steel - running gas pipe across the top dropping into the boiler. Going to be a nightmare....

@dilalio - Another name for the ol' chap. Has the equivalent of a universal thermocouple yanked through it this afternoon whilst I watched on a mahoosive TV. Not a pleasant experience. :(

3.5m meter ceilings Steel - running gas pipe across the top dropping into the boiler. Going to be a nightmare....

@dilalio - Another name for the ol' chap. Has the equivalent of a universal thermocouple yanked through it this afternoon whilst I watched on a mahoosive TV. Not a pleasant experience. :(

I take it the procedure was for medical and not S&M purposes :confused:
I would have asked them to change the channel :)
I now have images in my mind that I don't want :eek:
Ouch!

Your Shed has had its gas meter altered by its owner BG, so has no insurance cover!!

Am I naive in thinking that DaftyDIYer gas work is not permitted on this forum, well, the Gas Google warriors certainly have a free hand. One even moved his own gas meter......:eek:

It does seem PullerGas has a vivid and un-correctable imagination. My gas meter was moved at my request by National Grid ( or one of their contractors ) from the surface mounted box to a semi concealed ( half buried ) box. This required that the meter be changed from a front reading meter to a top reading meter. Perhaps if I had googled I could have found a suitable meter myself.

Conservation Officers tend to approve of semi concealed boxes when it is a listed building.

Your Shed has had its gas meter altered by its owner BG, so has no insurance cover!!

It does seem PullerGas has a vivid and un-correctable imagination. My gas meter was moved at my request by National Grid ( or one of their contractors ) from the surface mounted box to a semi concealed ( half buried ) box. This required that the meter be changed from a front reading meter to a top reading meter. Perhaps if I had googled I could have found a suitable meter myself.

Conservation Officers tend to approve of semi concealed boxes when it is a listed building.

Ah, enter the villain stage left......The Gas Google Warrior that's got a charmed life on here!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back