Re-siting the flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have an old Potterton Puma 100 that is located in the loft and the flue goes straight out through the gable end wall.

I am in the process of building an extension onto the side of the house so the old flue outlet will be covered by the new building. I cannot extend the horizontal outlet as it will exceed the manufacturers maximum distance (3078mm) by about 200mm.

Looks like my only option is to re-route the flue through the roof (a distance of approx 1.5m). I have looked through the manual and it advises the ""Concentric Vertical flue kit" is required.

Is this correct? Where would I find one, and what would be the approximate cost?

I appreciate that I cannot carry out this work myself due to regs and will be trying to find a pro to do the job (I'm in Wolverhampton if anyone is close !). I just wanted to get a feel for things / other options/ opinions, before getting someone in.

Thanks for any advice.

Lee

Sponsored Links
Looking at Pottertons parts lists I'm afraid these are shown as obsolete. Best you can hope for is a used flue from a boiler change. Time for a new boiler methinks.

First the 200mm extra is insignificant in over 3000 mm length although technically incorect. but even so you would have a problem assembling enough flue pipes now.

Secondly the boiler could be moved into the extension.

Thirdly a new boiler at about £1700 must surely be the solution and a small amount to pay compared with a £32,000 extension?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Bad news all round then :(

To be honest, the extension is being done on a small budget (brothers a brickie, mates a carpenter etc) but I appreciate your advice.....maybe have to consider moving the boiler / fitting a new one.

Thanks very much

In that case send them round to me as I need an extension built and then I can fit your new boiler for you.

I was once told by a techie of a reputable manufacturer that the flue may be extended past the limits in the manufacturers instructions, provided that once complete a flue gas analysis test is performed and it comes within tolerence...

May be worth ringing technical. Has anyone ever used a flue extension off another maufacturer? Most are the same size ;)

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Nope, I don't have the funds for a new boiler. I don't want to sound like a sob story, but iI've already been a bit naive with the price of things to do with the build (the Steel cost me a grand !) , and a new boiler wasn't a factor when we did the costings.

However, I can see where everyone is coming from in recommending a new boiler. It may be something I have to consider. The Pottertons 11 years old now so I realise I'm already on borrowed time (i've had a replacement PCB, DV but know theres lots more to go wrong !). BG have already wrote to tell me that they may not be able to cover me soon as a lot of the parts for the boiler are no longer made.

The more I write this, the more it seems to make sense to change.....I mean, I'm going to need new rads in the extension etc, so will it be more cost effective for an engineer to do this while fitting a new boiler, than just getting one in to add a bit of pipework. I'm rambling, sorry !

If I were to go for a new boiler, I suppose from looking on this site, my best option is a WB or Vaillant. Assuming that I'll need 11 rads (singles), we mainly shower so not many baths, one shower will be an electric, the other probaly being fed from the boiler, House is double glazed / cavity insulated, what model / range from WB / Vaillant should I be looking into ?

Cheers everyone

Have a look at the Glowworm Betacom A not any other Betacom - they are chalk and cheese £575 + vat for the 30kw version. This boiler is easily worth £200 more than they are selling at. Mostly Vaillant parts in it and a real bargain.

Your Puma is certainly in the last quartile of its life span.

BUT they are are perfectly repairable by anyone who wants to repair boilers.

The only part to my knowledge which could be required but unavailable is the less common one of the two types of pilot light assembly. They can be swapped over to the available type but might need rescued parts from an old boiler. They were very popular and so plenty of used boilers are available.

What I can say is that the cost of repairs if you have a good independent does not justify paying nearly £200 per annum for boiler cover. They bail about every three years costing about £200, NOT £200 every year!

Tony

Manufacturers quoted flue lengths are the general length the boiler will reliably work with. Thats an accuracy of about +/- 10% !

Once I went on behalf of a manufacturer to one with a long flue which was 95% of the maximum allowed. In that case sometimes the flue safety device was not operating. I agreed with the manufacturer in that case to slightly adjust a pressure valve to ensure that it would work reliably.

No one at a manufacturer is likely to tell you that you may use a flue 4% longer than their stated maximum. In reality it will usually make no difference. Bit like parking your car overhanging a yellow line by 4%, you get the penalty notice! But otherwise its of no consequence to anyone else!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back