Re-wire extension lead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I need to re-wire a 6 gang extension lead to make it longer.

Upon opening the casing I can see the connections are soldered on.

Would it be acceptable to re-heat the connections, remove them and add a new flex (longer), then fasten it all back together?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No - don't try - they are Factory Sealed Connections, not designed to be altered after manufacture - safest bet is to purchase a new longer extension.

Any soldered joint you can do is as good as anything from a factory (assuming you can solder) - with two exceptions.. you can't crimp as well as a machine can, and you're more likely to melt housings.

If that were my extension lead, I'd have no qualms at all about extending it.

Do you know how to solder a good joint?

Nozzle

It's not solderered, though. There are riveted crimps on the conductors which the cable has been inserted into and crimped.

I'd stick it in the cupboard and buy a new one with the appropriate cable length.

Sponsored Links
Your best bet would be to joint and extend the flex, using a 13A in-line joint box. Or even better purchase a new suitably one.

Does anyone else think the brown shows signs of overheating at its joint?

May be better if it were soldered.

It's a pound land type extension lead not designed to be repaired or altered buy a proper socket bar.

Yes you can solder I have done it but only because I was in Turkey and did not realise until too late it had welded cables. You need to remove the strips drill holes away from the point where plug goes in so any bad connection on plug will not melt solder and thread in the wires and wet with solder. It needs holes and wires threading as solder creeps and in time wires will fall off.

These are designed for you to wire

Thanks for all the replies.

A bit of a backstory on this:

I originally purchased two 10m long 4-gang sockets, however I needed more. (aquarium).

Rather than waste the 10m long cables, I cut off the 4-gang and intended to buy a 6-gang and connect them. Unfortunately, unlike the 4-gang, ALL the extensions B&Q sell are designed like the one in the picture (where I purchased it today) where they don't have a separate wiring section that can be easily removed and re-wired.

SO, should I leave the connections inside the extension as they are, and join the two cables with an in-line box? Would this be safer than re-soldering the factory fittings? Is joining two cables together still considered safe, assuming it's done right?

SO, should I leave the connections inside the extension as they are, and join the two cables with an in0line box? Would this be safer than re-soldering the factory fittings? Is joining two cables together still considered safe, assuming it's done right?
(IMO) Yes, yes and yes - provided you use a proper cable joiner - like this (click here) .

Kind Regards, John

Soldering the earth lead would heat the metal in the contacts for the earth pin of the plug. This could reduce the spring effect in the contacts leading to a poor connection to the earth pin.

Therefor soldering not recommended

SO, should I leave the connections inside the extension as they are, and join the two cables with an in0line box? Would this be safer than re-soldering the factory fittings? Is joining two cables together still considered safe, assuming it's done right?
(IMO) Yes, yes and yes - provided you use a proper cable joiner - like this (click here) .

Kind Regards, John

Thanks John, I'll go with the cable connector.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back