Really quick "concrete kitchen floor" question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Running new ring into kitchen that has solid floors. Whats the acceptable practice here? Do you channel back up to the ceiling and follow the ring round or do you run the electric cables down around the floor??

Sorry if this is stupid - but I'm having a, uhm "disagreement" with someone

TIA

Sponsored Links
The normal way is to drop down to the first socket and then run around the wall to the other sockets, making sure the cables stay within the permitted cable route zones

If you have units being fitted, you could run some minitrunking around behind the units and just chase up to each socket/spur. and fit each low level socket surface from the trunking. Dont just hang the cables around willy nilly.

In a kitchen a good way to do it is to chase cables horizontally between outlets.

You will have to come up (or go down) to the first socket, and to the last socket. If you are cunning you will run the ring so that it starts and finished at about the same point, then the first and the last outlet can be close together; possibly even in a dual box. Then, you will want quite a lot of outlets above the worktop (one every 60cm is not too many). You will need double sockets for toaster, kettle, mixer, radio, espresso machine, sandwich toaster, mobile phone charger, microwave. You will need FCUs for cooker hood, extractor fan, wall lights. You will need 20A DP switches feeding an unswitched socket below for under-counter fridge, freezer, dishwasher, washing machine, tumble drier, oven. You should put these not only where you today plan to put an appliance, but also where you might decide to put an appliance later.

So you can have a row of outlets 150mm above the counter, with the cable chased horizontally between them. You can run this all the way round the kitchen if you like. If you run the cable in oval conduit it will be very easy to cut a new outlet in, between the existing outlets, when you realise you have not got enough, later.

It would be extremely wasteful in labour and materials to go up or down for every outlet.

edited... quite a lot of agreement here ;)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. So can anyone see a problem with chasing all the way back up to the ceiling? (apart from potential probs when fixing the kitchen wall units), (even though they are channelled in straight lines etc) ? Or is this just a question of preferences? ie, there is no fixed / right / wrong way of doing it?

I suppose that depends on the size of the kitchen. Id rather chase down 300mm then up 300mm than chase 2 metres across.

I can't see why anyone would want to keep chasing up and down to the ceiling... unless they'd just bought a new chasing machine and enjoyed filling the house with gritty dust.

How many outlets do you think this kitchen is going to have?

I wont bother because I know I won't beat Johnd & JNK on screen twice

LOL... JohnD Im not talking about chasing up to the ceiling with each socket lol

no, but I thought tr1cky might have been.

p.s. I have only once drilled into a cable, when fixing kitchen wall cabinets. I was so high up that the socket below was out of sight (and mind) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back