Rear extensions, doors on side elevation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So - given an L shaped extension on the rear of a semi, extending further on the side away from the middle of the two houses, - is a door allowed on the side facing the neighbour's garden?

I always thought not, but after this exchange:

//www.diynot.com/forums/building-regs-planning/pre-application-advice.391145/#3030023

I'm wondering if I'm wrong, or if masona is wrong, or if it varies from authority to authority....

Sponsored Links
There is no specific 'rule'(in Planning terms) against having a door on the side elevation - it's down to how your planning officer sees it.

However, if the side wall is nearer than 1m to the boundary, fire regs come into play and any 'unprotected area' (ie door or window) more than 1sq. m. in area is not permitted. This rules out a door within 1m of the boundary.

If you're further away than 1m, it's not a problem.

We recently obtained pp and we're told that the door needed to be 1m away from our neighbours due fire regs.

Hope that helps.

OK - so, with something like this:

Screen_Hunter_113_Feb_17_09_12.jpg

there's no blanket ban on having a door in the wall highlighted in red, but if my council don't allow it then so be it.

Sponsored Links
There's no reason to not allow it. Doors are very (very, very, very) common in that situation.

Hmm.

From

Hillingdon Design and Accessibility Statement (HDAS)
Supplementary Planning Document
Residential Extensions

"No window or door should overlook a neighbouring property."

Googling that exact phrase doesn't find a single other example of it.

Changing the search to https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=(...erlooking+(neighbouring+OR+adjacent)+property finds what might be similar-looking guidance, but I've not read any of the other documents in detail.

Mainly because I don't see the point - I thought I remembered the restriction which my council has, hence my original Q, but I guess that councils can make whatever rules they like, even if they're the only one in the whole country to have a given rule.

I'm sure life will be too short to try and do anything about it.

Just because the door is in the side of the house doesn't mean it would automatically be overlooking a neighbour. Mine approved plans have a new door exiting to the side alleyway between houses. My view from the door is a brick wall.

If I had a door there it would be overlooking my neighbour's conservatory/garden, subject to any fence or wall either of us might erect on the boundary.

Mind you - either of us could stand in our gardens and do the same, and their conservatory does not have obscure glass.

I don't think I'd want a door there enough to want to go into battle.

Permitted development rules, for example, do not restrict doors or windows facing boundaries at ground floor level. They do however restrict them at first floor level and above. Most houses have 2m high privacy panels which avoids any direct overlooking. My advice is put a couple up yourself.

Permitted development rules, for example, do not restrict doors or windows facing boundaries at ground floor level.

Screen_Hunter_113_Feb_17_23_05.jpg

Most houses have 2m high privacy panels which avoids any direct overlooking. My advice is put a couple up yourself.
There's already a 6' fence there, and we're going to extend it further along the garden anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back