Recomended retailer for buying furniture grade pine for floating shelves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recomended a good retailer for buying furniture grade pine for floating shelves. Dimentions are 2400mmx280mmx50mm. Each shelf will be held by 5 x Hafele floating shelf brackets.

Sponsored Links
I need it to be wider than 200mm, 280 is ideal. Would it be a good solution to glue and dowel two 150x50 bits https://www.atlantictimber.co.uk/pine-planed-all-round-150mm-x-50mm-6-x-2-up-to-3m.html
and cut it to size with my plung saw and rail? I plan to paint it white.

Last edited:
8"x2" will be around 190x45mm and 2x2 will be 45x45 as the planing removes wood

Sponsored Links
Why the expense of pine if it’s painted white?
I like natural materials. But happy to consoder alternatives. What cheaper alternative would you suggest that is strong eoungh to carry relatively heavy plant pots?

I like natural materials. But happy to consoder alternatives. What cheaper alternative would you suggest that is strong eoungh to carry relatively heavy plant pots?
Box shelf made from baton and mdf .

Box shelf made from baton and mdf .
If I want the shelf to be 45mm thickness, what baton size and MDF thickness would you recommend for a 2.4m long shelf that will be strong enough to carry plant pots?

Last edited:
I need it to be wider than 200mm, 280 is ideal. Would it be a good solution to glue and dowel two 150x50 bits https://www.atlantictimber.co.uk/pine-planed-all-round-150mm-x-50mm-6-x-2-up-to-3m.html
and cut it to size with my plung saw and rail? I plan to paint it white.
solid softwood will cup badly and most likely will have surface splits

I wouldnt recommend it for floating shelves

you could buy a door blank 2440 x 1220 x 44 FD30 and cut it up

or you could buy 25mm plywood and lip the front edge -you would need 3 sheets

either option is real timber

solid softwood will cup badly and most likely will have surface splits

I wouldnt recommend it for floating shelves

you could buy a door blank 2440 x 1220 x 44 FD30 and cut it up

or you could buy 25mm plywood and lip the front edge -you would need 3 sheets

either option is real timber
Interesting idea. What are FD30 doors made of and how are they constructed?

You would want to choose one made up of plywood laminate (some have a chipboard core), if painting you would not need to lip the cut edges so long as you can get a clean cut.

You would want to choose one made up of plywood laminate (some have a chipboard core), if painting you would not need to lip the cut edges so long as you can get a clean cut.
Thanks. Can you send a link for a door made of plywood laminate that you'd recommend?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back