Recommendation for new thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I would like to replace my old analogue thermostat with a programmable digital one. My first attempt failed as the unit I bought was not actually a thermostat, just a timer (d'oh!) so I am looking for a recommendation from people who know better than I.

The old thermostat was a Honeywell t40 - just a simple dial one. My boiler is a vaillant ecotek plus 832 R1 condensing combination boiler.

I am looking to spend no more than £30, if possible.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Miss_e

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/replacing-boiler-thermostat.444942/#ixzz40Fv0az5r

Sponsored Links
Programmable digital thermostat for less than £30? You'll probably need to spend a bit more than that.

Why do you need a programmable one, does the boiler not have a programmer built in?

The Digistat 3 is a fairly low cost one with a good range of features. £52 including the dreaded.

Sponsored Links
I'd vote for the CM907 too. Bit cheaper on the old fleabay, but still >£30

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thank you all for your advice. I want the programmable one so that I can set it to operate differently depending on the day of the week (i.e. low when I'm at work and regular on the weekends).

£30 may have been a bit too optimistic, but the Drayton looks like a good choice.

Thanks again.

Cheers. =)

At home I am using the old version of the Horstmann DRT2 also used in narrow boat and daughter also uses the same. It does 4 temperatures for week days all at same time and 2 temperatures Sat and Sun times can differ. It has been used for around 8 years the only problem found is the batteries go too flat to work relay before the battery warning light comes on. Batteries last about 2 years but I now change every year so not caught out. Less than £25.

At my mothers house I use a Horstmann HRFS1 which is wireless it can be set like the DRT2 or you can set 7 separate days. It can be wall mounted or placed on furniture I had some teething problems where it had quite a large slewing range but simply placing closer to radiator got rid of that, it has 6 temperatures per day. More expensive at under £60.

As you move to more expensive thermostats they have a learning capability and can auto adjust the slewing range (the difference in temperature from switching off and switching on) although the thermostat may be set to 0.5°C it takes time for the heat from radiator to reach the thermostat so one gets a hysteresis mothers house it would vary between 21°C and 25°C with the thermostat remote from radiator but 23°C and 25°C when near the radiator measured with the remote camera. It was more down to radiator size than thermostat one radiator got hot it took time for the heat to reach thermostat and when turned of heat is still coming from the radiator so room getting hotter. Some of the expensive types learn about this and compensate.

It may seem odd but best place for thermostat is near radiator when that happens, it's all down to design of house. The Honeywell Evo home kit is really the bee's knees here but real expensive however there are some programmable TRV heads which are far cheaper so you instead of switching all heating on and off you treat every room independently. So bedroom only heated at night for example.

The problem with all the devices other than the Honeywell Evo home is they are in conflict with each other a radiator thermostatic valve (TRV) can only heat a room if the central heating is running so without a link between TRV and the main controller it is a bit hit and miss. Even wind direction can change which room is the warmest.

With mothers house we considered the Honeywell Evo home and I thought it cost too much. So the new Horstmann HRFS1 controls living room in the day and the old system controls bed room at night. But I only have two rooms to worry about. My house is open plan so it was designed from day one to work with a single thermostat. The whole idea of running in the day and switched to emergency temperature at night will work where the TRV does the temperature control and thermostat just ensures when off it does not get too cold.

However the idea of 14°C overnight then 20°C in morning then drop to 18°C in the afternoon raising to 22°C in evening seems great, however it is only controlling one area the rest of the house will likely be sitting at the temperature controlled by the TRV. This is why I have two thermostats in my mothers house unless you leave all doors open and have a fan to circulate air a single thermostat simply does not work.

Best compromise I considered was the Horstmann HRFS1 as it can easy be moved room to room. If I win the pools I will get the Honeywell Evo home kit but until then it's leave doors open and the Myson circulates the air.

the Drayton looks like a good choice.
OK, no problemo.

Two things though:
1. If you have a programmable thermostat, you will have to set the boiler timer to be always ON for heating
and
2. The wiring on the T40 will probably have three wires plus an earth, while the digital stat will only have two
TK7GeQh.jpg

there is a guide on how to wire it up in the WIKI, at //www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:How-to-replace-a-room-stat
or come back and ask..

Even if the boiler has a programmer, that will only be times for on and off governed by a thermostat at one temperature.

A programmable thermostat is needed for different temperatures at different times.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back