Replacing boiler thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello,

I would like to replace my old analogue thermostat with a wireless one. The new one will be a Horstmann HRFS1 Programmable Room Thermostat. Looking at the wiring instructions, I am unsure whether I need to wire it is a volt free thermostat or not. I have attached the pics of the old configuration and model. My boiler is a vaillant ecotek plus 832 R1 condensing combination boiler.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Cheers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 104
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 127
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 122
Sponsored Links
We cannot tell from the pictures.
How many volts at the brown wire?

Volt-free just means independent of (not connected to) the supply.

You can do either with the HRFS1 so just connect the relevant wires to the volt-free connections plus the supply and it will be alright.

Thank you for your reply, EFLImpudence. How would I be able to tell the voltage at the brown wire? I would assume it is the standard 230 volts?

Presumably then, the two wires visible are the neutral and live feed. Do I need another connection for the the volt free feed (as in the attached schematic)?

Thanks again. =)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 94
One more thing, on the inside of the Honeywell casing, it shows 230 V~50 Hz. Would this indicate the voltage in the live wire?

Sponsored Links
How would I be able to tell the voltage at the brown wire?
You would need at least a multimeter.

I would assume it is the standard 230 volts?
Probably but some boilers use 24V.

Presumably then, the two wires visible are the neutral and live feed.
No. It is live and switched live - it is a switch.

Do I need another connection for the the volt free feed (as in the attached schematic)?
No you need an additional mains supply to power the receiver.

One more thing, on the inside of the Honeywell casing, it shows 230 V~50 Hz. Would this indicate the voltage in the live wire?
No. That is the mains supply to make it work.

You cannot, nor would want to, fit the receiver at the present thermostat location.
It will have to go near the boiler or wiring centre (if one).

The existing wiring to the thermostat is then redundant.

If you don't want to do this then you can buy battery operated programmer/thermostats which would just replace the present thermostat (if the system is suitable).

Ah, I'm curious...why do you need to install the receiver near the boiler? Is that because it needs to be rewired with another power supply for the receiver?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back