Recommendations for a door entry system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everyone,

We have been considering installing an inside door in the hall to help with reducing road traffic noise. It has me considering increasing the security as sadly there have been attempts on the main door in the past (nailbar marks)...
In the past, I recall working with an electrician who installed a phone intercom system in a block of flats, operated by keypad at the main door. However, everytime the power went off due to the fire alarm ringing (100% people setting it off by accident), the front door would become unlocked. There was a big magnet on it, a big old Georgian door. I think it is a fire safety feature, but of course, allows entry to anyone that way inclined.
So I'm looking for suggestions about a 2 door entry system - the main door, and the inside hallway door - using keys, keypads, and whatever else.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Mag lock entry systems are usually connected to the fire alarm via a relay so the door releases allowing easy escape. It seems unlikely an intruder would use that as an opportunity to get in as everyone would be going the other way, they'd have to be in the right place at the right time.

Whether the door needs to release during a fire alarm activation would be done to the individual risk assessment of the building.

A strike lock (fail secure) would probably be a better way to go, a kit like this would be the best way option if you only have one/two doors and don't want to use fobs or review access logs ect - https://cpc.farnell.com/deedlock/akt4225/single-door-keypad-kit/dp/SR08401

If you have multiple doors and want to use fobs and be able to review logs I'd look into a centrally managed system such as Paxton Net2.

That looks like a great system, thanks JameZZ. I could site it up high in the hallway. It runs off 12v, so I'd need to bring a 2.5mmsq spur to it, then I presume it downrates the power inside it for the cabling to the keypad/ lock/ exit button.. do you know what size cable that would be, 0.5mm? and/ or Cat5 maybe?
I think you make a good point with the automatic release if a fire alarm goes off.. I was going to install a mains fed heat alarm closeby, maybe I could link it to that so it does open in the <gulp> event of fire?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back