Recommendations for a good Forstner bit (15mm)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend a good 15mm Forstner bit? I've seen some in ScrewFix - some with bad reviews, some with average. I want something that can cut a few dozen holes in hardwood (Wallnut, Oak, Ash) without noticeable deterioration.

It's to cut holes for Cam & Dowel fittings. Seems to be the right tool.

Oh, any tips on getting a hole where I want it would be good too. My centre mark usually slips half a millimetre when I strike the centre-punch.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can anyone recommend a good 15mm Forstner bit? I've seen some in ScrewFix - some with bad reviews, some with average. I want something that can cut a few dozen holes in hardwood (Wallnut, Oak, Ash) without noticeable deterioration.
Look for Clico (British), Famag, Colt, Festool Centrotec or Fisch (all German). Avoid cheap Chinese cr*p because it doesn't work, stay sharp or drill true. Forstner bits always were expensive - good Forstners still are

any tips on getting a hole where I want it would be good too. My centre mark usually slips half a millimetre when I strike the centre-punch.
Yes. Use a drill press and a home-made jig! That way your hole will be perpendicular to the surface as well. Failing that mark your centre with a fine awl or an ice pick rather than a centre punch designed for metal. If your eyesight is bad get yourself an auxilliary clip-on magnifiers

Thanks that's really helpful. That seems a good store too. I think I'll pick up some stuff :)

Sponsored Links
It has a hex shank. Can I put it in a regular drill? If so, which part of the shaft should I clamp? The wide bit or the narrow bit between hat and the hex?

Thanks again. Obviously not used one of these before! :D
Clamp onto the hex - a 3-jaw chuck will do that easily. The Hex shank also allows you to install the cutter in a bit holder

D4lSylnAquGLA1_QgQ9OYQTcwq_wCprERM6-Bd7xDvnkMB05AiFS0s0JI3Q7nCPSVILkp0-V6cTZ_KIgApOqGZScm8SGhEQUPZNXQOq9rN2ZPuZVTo8GOyE1trntaNXAcpRGe4Mn_tXoi5IBaX9LCzqkj6bXdXrEuP4VUaToapnIvqFdC8yHc0DHYto4lw

so that you can change quickly from drilling to, say, screwdriving

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back