Recovering cost of accident damage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About 4 weeks ago, on my way to Scotland for a holiday, I was shunted in the rear at a rd junction by a local taxi. No damage to his vehicle other than a bust number plate but I had two holes in the plastic bumper of my Golf. I gave my insurance details, name, address etc and took all bar his insurance details as he said it was a company vehicle. He said he would pay for any damage in cash as he did not want to claim on insurance nor for his employer to know.

Similarly for the small damage I did not want to claim via insurance either as I would lose my protected NCD.

As the damage seemed minimal, I said I would get a quote for repair and give him a chance to cough up. The body shop quote is only £82 which I have passed on in writing to the driver, but have heard jack in return!

I have written again giving him 7 days to pay up.

If he does not pay up, what would you recommend? Should I contact his taxi company to get their insurance details (is it worth it for £85 other than a matter of principle) or do you think they would pay up the cash themselves rather than have a claim against them?

Any thoughts on how to proceed gladly received.

Sponsored Links
I am reliably informed that you can't lose a protected NCB,else why have one?BUT,a couple of friends have made claims,they retained their NCB,but the 70% or whatever was knocked off a larger premium come renewal time.So although you keep the NCB you pay more anyway.Hopefully,all insurers are not this devious?
Regarding your own bother,I would send to the driver again,saying"in case you didn't get the first one"or similar.Then if no joy have a go at the company.If it's not too far away,call at the office personally.
If you don't mind driving a damaged motor about for a bit,you must explore all avenues for recompence.But don't spoil your own record for £85
Quick edit. Sorry,slightly misread your post,you have already sent a second bill to the driver.Give him the seven days now,then if no joy,get at the company.

Write to his company now. The longer you leave it the more likely they all are to deny it (luckily you took photos of the damage and wrote down the names and addresses of independent witnesses, right?).

Did he refuse to give his insurance details? drop a note to your local police if he did.

Why should you care about his NCB if he won't cough up the cash?

DropDeadFred said:
Any thoughts on how to proceed gladly received.
It depends on how serious you are about recovering the money.

Firstly, report the accident to your insurance company as "information only" - this won't affect your NCB, whether or not its protected, but it will mean that you've abided by the terms of your policy should they find out later on.

Secondly, write to the driver requesting that he provide his insurance details, reminding him that the law requires him to do so at the scene or, if not possible, then within 24 hours. If he doesn't comply then write to the police with a copy of the letter.

Thirdly, begin proceedings against the driver. You don't need his insurance details to do this. Take advice from the CAB on this, but generally it's wise to put everything in writing, to keep a diary, and to get an official repair quotation for your car. Send a copy of the quotation to the other driver, holding him liable and giving him 14 days to pay. If he doesn't then send him a "Letter before proceedings", giving 7 days before you submit a court application. Hold him liable for the court fees.

If no joy, proceed with the court application, pay your fee, then expect an immediately settlement, which is what usually happens. ;)

Sponsored Links
Like I said, not too fussed about the cash (have actually traded it in today for a new one and got top book price for it despite the damage!)

However, just don't like being taken for a mug by anyone especially folk you were trying to do a favour to in the first place.

Then again, If he has no hesitation in ripping me off he may have none in putting my new cars' windows out either :confused:

Maybe just have to resort to a few 'bogus' airport runs til the anger subsides :LOL:

i'd get your car checked properly, I was shunted 6 months ago, didnt feel like much but when i lifted the spare tyre cover it was obviously damaged.
I contacted my insurers and as the other driver hit me from behind i was not at fault
I'm always wary of someone saying " I'll pay the damage" as i've been stung before - and by coincidence it was a taxi driver
In My opinion, go down the proper channels and keep yourself right,

Not a problem Jon..was the 1st thing I did and thankfully got away lightly at £85.

I imagine taxi drivers know every trick in the book to get away with stuff like this as I imagine their insurance costs are fairly high anyway. Anyway, no more favours from me and the tW@t$ can wait to merge into my lane from now on :p

Thanks for all your comments

Back