Recurrent sludge and boiler breakdown

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Need some advice please.

House built in 1986, 5 bed 3 bath- 27 radiators with TRVs. We replaced the boiler 6 years ago when we moved in - Johnson Starley and took our boiler and central heating cover with the installing company. System was powerflushed at the time of installation.

Have had 5-6 breakdowns over the years- fixed by company under cover.

Last year at around Christmas time, the boiler broke down- told by company this was due to sludge build up and not covered by warranty- charge £950 to clear this and another £650 to fit a magnetic filter to prevent this.

Since then 2 radiators were cold - tried bleeding- black stuff comes out.

Boiler has conked out again with similar error code to last time. Likely to be sludge according to company and again not covered by warranty.

This is getting to be very expensive for us- i esp. if we have to shell out every year for the same problem.

Is there any definitive solution that can stop these problems recurring so soon? If so , how much should it cost. With little kids and an elderly parent in the house, I'd much rather sort out a long term solution.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It seems to me you either have a system design flaw that is causing the sludge or they havnt power flushed it.

I would say to them that if it's a system fault,they should have rectified that at time of install. How long do they guarantee there work after a flush.

Ask them to tell you what they think is happening

Edited to say.

Take a calm approach without any accusations of shoddy work at the mo. and post back what they say

For £950 they should be g`teeing it and £650 for a filter what an absolute rip off thats around £500 quid labour for something that has took them 20 minutes to fit

Yeah, as the guys have said, it sounds like either a bad design issue or they didn't clean it properly and then use correct inhibitor/concentration.
Were you about when they powerflushed it? It would have taken at least a day or 2 to do with that amount of rads and a big machine that made a lot of noise.
What did they do for £950 to clear it last year?
I also agree, £650 to fit a £100 odd filter is ridiculous.

What boiler make is it? Something isn't right though and I would be getting an independent installer in to review your system and supply a report as to its design & condition and armed with that, going back to the installers.

Sponsored Links
when you empty the system filter every year, how much sludge do you take out?

Presumably you mean you have an open-vented system with a feed and expansion tank in the loft? Go and watch it with a torch while someone turns the heating and HW on and off, describe what you see.

Thanks for all the replies.

At work today, so will follow all advice ASA I get home. The engineers are in again later this afternoon and a neighbour is letting them in. Have had to send kids and parent to a friends house for the day.

Will post back with an update this pm.

Re independent review, any advice about reputable companies in the Warwickshire area?

Thanks

Can't help with recommendation I'm afraid being up here in Scotland but given the money you have spent on it for what seems to be a recurring issue, just a year on, isn't right IMO.
Especially after a filter install and the supposed cover you have with the installers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back