Red Blocks when on web pages

RHS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It has slowly been getting worse, I have red blocks where web page content should be, this is on sites such as screwfix utube and this site sometimes.

Is this down to a setting somewhere on IE7 or my pc? I have not changed anything so I am pulling my hair out.

Sponsored Links
A few questions first.
What operating system, XP or Vista?
What security programs are running real-time?
By that I mean antivirus, and any antispyware that is running.

Download & Run ATF Cleaner, and select all except cookies and click Clean.

I would then suggest that you download IE8 from:

HERE if you have Vista

HERE if you have XP

Try that and post back with the answers and a report.
Thanks
dave

Thanks for your fast response Dave

Vista

virgin media's pc gaurd and standard with wimdows

IE 8 was my first thought so tried that but my bio protection does not work on that.

Tried the ATF cleaner but that did not sort it.

Sponsored Links
Just to rule out PC Guard,
Turn it off and go on line to a safe site that you have been having problems with and see what happens.
Post back
dave

• Thanks
Reactions: RHS
Just to rule out PC Guard,
Turn it off and go on line to a safe site that you have been having problems with and see what happens.
Post back
dave

Turned off but still the same. cheers dave

Try this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/283807

Hope it helps. If it doesn't download Firefox install it and browse to a site your having trouble with in IE and see if you still have trouble. If you dont its an IE problem if you do it might be something else.

Tried this daozen, but still the same even FF does it, turned my pc guard off but still does it.

This machine will be going out the window soon :evil:

Ok if you dont have it download CCleaner and install it and run a scan to get rid of any junk files.

How is the rest of the computer? Running ok? When did it start happening? After a windows update? What type on internet connection are you using? Oh and if you have an adblocker of any sort turn it off.

Firstly speaking as a web developer IE6 is junk and should always be avoided IE7 is not a lot better and should also be avoided if possible, IE8 is just about OK but still a PITA. We (as in good web developers) always design for sites to work in standards compliant browsers first and to degrade to a minimal usable state in IE. Some lazy sites only work in IE, I hate these.

Anyway what this is leading me to is; use a good browser like (in my order of preference) Firefox 3.5, Opera, Safari, Chrome. If this BioProtection forces you to use a inadequate and insecure browser like IE then junk it. With a good anti virus program and a firewall you are more than adequately protected and in genreal OEM stuff that comes with PCs is best left alone.

I assume by red blocks you mean a red square with a red X in it? That is where there is an anchor for an external file or an image which is not being downloaded into the page. There is probably a setting in IE that is causing this.

Try setting IEs Security and privacy settings to default. But preferably get a good browser

:D

But preferably get a good browser

:D

hanks for the post but I am more than happy with IE7 tried FF and IE8 but they don't let my bio protection work so binned them straight away.

I have now spent a few hours messing about with this machine and I think I have sorted it, don't know what i have done as i changed several things but my machine seems to be ok and running well.

Thanks everyone for your posts.

Sponsored Links
Back