Red / orange scum in bath from gravity fed water supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Has anyone had a red / orange scum build up oni the floor of a bath when the water dries out? Is this some kind of rust?

Thanks!

Marcus

Sponsored Links
It`s probably a harmless bacteria - seen it in commercial dishwashers :idea: - or it could be rust , you need to look @ the roof cold storage cistern - unless you`ve got a combi boiler ;)

It`s probably a harmless bacteria - seen it in commercial dishwashers :idea: - or it could be rust , you need to look @ the roof cold storage cistern - unless you`ve got a combi boiler ;)

Hmm thanks for that. I have a combi boiler, 14 years old. So the water is coming from the hot water cylinder, would it benefit from flushing out?

Cheers

You've contradicted yourself, you've said you have a combi boiler then asked if the scum is coming from your hot water cylinder. Which is it? You wouldn't normally have a hot water cylinder running off a combi.

Sponsored Links
You've contradicted yourself, you've said you have a combi boiler then asked if the scum is coming from your hot water cylinder. Which is it? You wouldn't normally have a hot water cylinder running off a combi.

Yes I did :oops: not a combi boiler...

I think it would warrant further investigation. Look in the cold feed tank for the HWC, is the water in there also discoloured? It is overflowing, or are there any signs that it might have been?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back