Orange spots in the bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just wondering if any plumbers had ever come across a problem before what we are having. A new bath was fitted 6 months ago and a shortly after small orange specks started appearing on the base of the tub. These look like rust and are no more than 2mm wide but appear in random spots. They will ony polish out with a bit of wet and dry paper but you can fill the bath up after polishing all exsisting specks away drain the water away and then within 30 mins a few fresh ones will appear. The tub is made of fibreglass with a gelcoat covering and has been replaced to rule out any casting defect but they are appearing on the new tub which i would think points to something in the water. Would be very grateful to hear from anyone who has seen this happen before or knows what could cause it.

Sponsored Links
might be orange mould.

Will it clean off with bathroom spray and a nylon scourer?

how is the bathroom ventilated?

Suggest you use a large white bucket or container, and fill it with water, and then look for particles in the water. I know if we do this we get quite a lot of iron particles from the cold mains supply. I'm all blue alkathene but the supply in my road is in iron.

andytw

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies fellas. The bathroom is pretty well ventilated ,large window at the side of the bath and extractor fan nearby plus fully refurbished before the bath went. Would the iron supply pipes still be used with propertys circa 1970-1980s. Its at the end of a small cul-de-sac. I will hunt down a white bucket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back