Red stains!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, papered a room last year with a Fresco vinyl, not blown, over a red oil based distemper, patches of red are now bleeding through, will a coat of oil based undercoat seal it in or should I try one of those stain sealers or perhaps aluminium sealer? Never had this problem in fithty years of decorating.

Sponsored Links
Hi, papered a room last year with a Fresco vinyl, not blown, over a red oil based distemper, patches of red are now bleeding through, will a coat of oil based undercoat seal it in or should I try one of those stain sealers or perhaps aluminium sealer? Never had this problem in fithty years of decorating.

I've had it !

Happened to me in 1984. All the staining came through on the flat thin parts of the paper after about a week.

Gave all the walls a coat of Zinsser Cover Stain Primer Sealer as reccomended by local DDC and still its coming through!! Any ideas? Aluminium sealer? Knotting?

Sponsored Links
I dont care for coverstain myself, the product I had in mind was Dulux Trade Primer Sealer, Before you spend anymore money if you have some oil based undercoat thin it down a little and see if that works.

Dec

TheDec";p="2048527 said:
I dont care for coverstain myself, the product I had in mind was Dulux Trade Primer Sealer, Before you spend anymore money if you have some oil based undercoat thin it down a little and see if that works.

I have already started to do just that!

Styptic is a fantastic product. Not used it for years. As IC1927 says the undercoat should do it but the Styptic will if the undercoat doesnt work.

Distemper paints in all intense and purposes offer themselves in three forms hard, (casein) soft, and oil. Some modern oil distempers dont actually contain any oil others are a mixture of raw linseed oil and gelatin yet all remain to be unstable. It will have great dependance on type as to whether an oil based undercoat will cure this problem. They could work yet this could only be of a temporary nature.

Dec

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back