Reducing sound through party wall in loft conversion?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are doing a loft conversion and our neighbors already have one.

Their side is a kids playroom and my side will be my bedroom.

Is there anything I can do on my side to reduce noise? I know PIR boards are no good for noise so thought maybe batton, pack it with something then board it with blue boards?

Any tips or advice? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I don't know what you mean :cautious::LOL:

I'm thinking of when I'm having a lie-in on a weekend!!

How much thickness can you manage? Rather than battens fixed to the party wall, fit studs with a small gap behind. (Of course these have to fix to the rafters and joists, so there is potential for noise transmission there.) Then fill between the studs with acoustic mineral wool or similar, and board with blue boards. Or if that's too thick, fit battens then resilient bars then plasterboard, with wool behind.

Detailing at floor and ceiling level is important.

Sponsored Links
How much thickness can you manage?

I could probably loose upto 150mm, it's an awkward space above and below a chimney breast, we want the breast left exposed but it's plenty deep at about 400mm.

Ear plugs fall out. Noise cancelling earphones work well. I don't think you're allowed to shoot kids nowadays, but things may be different up were you are.

So if I built a stud wall, separate from the party wall, would the resilient bars add to it or not really?

I just looked on Rightmove and the neighbours chimney breast if fully covered, no alcoves, you can even tell there is one.

I think I'll go for the independent stud wall with double blue boards over it.

The wall is untouched at the minute and the neighbours are new so I'm not sure how much noise there will be.

I can't imagine there being loads but the BCO was happy for us to build something to insulate sound rather than heat as the drawings show.

I'd be inclined not to have an air cavity as you can't guarantee that sound is not going to creep into it from around the apex or eaves.

Rockwool batts up against the wall will prevent sound from the wall and around it (as long as you seal around the gable properly), and then your timber stud wall with more rockwool. I don't see the value of single or double acoustic plasterboard as that is not for stopping sound getting out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back