Reducing sound through party wall in loft conversion?

Sponsored Links
These people, whose advice seems to make a lot of sense, advise a min 10mm gap in front of the original wall. Then, 50-100mm of insulation between the 50-75mm battens.

I agree with that, which is what you'll see I did if you read my earlier post.

This is different though, he is talking about the space between the studs/battens not being fully filled, not an isolation gap between his new wall and the existing one.

I think he has filled the gap between the wall and the studs; no "min 10mm gap".

Yes, I fully filled the gap behind which was 50mm:

IMG_5991.JPG

I'll have to have a think. We are hoping to get it plastered next week.

Sponsored Links
Well I thought about it but decided the stuff I'm using isn't rigid enough to hold a 10mm gap so I just mass filled behind and between the studs. Must be better then the PIR backed plasterboards on the drawing.

IMG_6036.JPG

Wow, I wouldn't have fancied cutting out around those bricks. You must have the patience of a saint!

I'm guessing you're keeping the chimney as a feature.

Yes, we are going to keep it exposed. I just hope the plasterer doesn't look at it and think **** that!!!

I'm going to get some acoustic sealer tomorow and fill all the gaps around the cuts.

How come the edges of the plasterboard on the dormer are not inline with the timbers. Won't it cracknowledged once plastered?

It's full filled with PIR boards so I'm hoping not because it can't flex back.

I used an 25mm acoustic foam (Self adhesive option - see link where i got it from) to deal with a noise issue i had.

http://www.fabricuk.com/fabrics/935-acoustic-foam-25mm-self-adhesive-backing.html

This is what i done :-> Fixed 30mm battens onto party wall, Stuck to the party wall in between battens 25mm acoustic foam self adhesive, which left me 5mm void gap (intentionally) then fixed plaster boards over the battens, this reduced the neighbors noise drastically.

XL7248.gif

Attachments

• acoustic-foam-25mm.gif
    acoustic-foam-25mm.gif
    187 KB · Views: 67

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back