Regular lockout on Range Powermax 155

TGC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into my house a few weeks before xmas 2005 and the property has a Range Powermax 155 boiler.

Soon after moving in we discovered that the heating and hot water went off and the pressure gauge on the boiler was zero. After phoning someone about this they said to use the filling loop on the side to restore the pressure to 1bar. Everything was fine after doing this and we had heating and water again.

The problem is that the boiler does this on a regular basis, 2-3 times per week sometimes and after reading some of the posts on this forum I believe this is somewhat unusual and means there is a leak somewhere, although I haven't noticed any leaks!!

What I have noticed is that the drop off in pressure can be quite rapid rather than gradual. I'm at a loss at the moment as to why it would be doing this. The other problem I have is the previous owner didn't leave a manual.

Other than phoning a plumber, any advice would be gratefully received.

TGC

Sponsored Links
Potterton now have ownership of the Range Powermax products.Google search for :Baxi Potterton Parts Arena:.Download and print instructions.

Try emptying the system pressure down to zero and then put a footpump on the valve on the pressure guage on the expansion vessel (white, round on the wall?) and pump it up to 1 bar. If water comes out of the valve the vessel is shot.

Sponsored Links
If the system is drained and the expansion vessel is shot, then you will never get the pressure to 1 Bar!

Anyway, for a single floor installation, the EV preload should be 0.5 Bar.

The purpose of the vessel is to provide somewhere for the water in the system to expand to when it heats up. If the rubber diaphragm inside the vessel is holed, the whole thing will fill up with water, so no room for expansion. If you check the EV pressure with the system EMPTY, you should see approx 0.5 Bar. If less, try pumping it up with a tyre pump. If the pressure refuses to rise, it's holed. If it's significantly above 0.5 Bar already, release some air from the valve, to bring the pressure to 0.5 on the tyre gauge (NOT on the system pressure gauge which should stay at 0 while you're doing this).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back