Regulation question Bathrooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
It has been thrown at us that the Maximum Disconnection Time for Bath/Shower Rooms is 0.2 seconds.

Can anyone point me to the regulation that confirms 0.2 secs

Table 41A says 0.4 seconds.

Cheers
HoraceG

Sponsored Links
Change "It has been thrown at us " to "XXXXXX told me that" where XXXX is the title or position of the person who said it (man in pub, C&G lecturer, design engineer, plasterer's apprentice).

Well, actually, it was a C&G Lecturer although rumour has it that he is a Plasterers Apprentice for his day job.

then, if asked, he should be willing and able to show where he got it from.

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
then, if asked, he should be willing and able to show where he got it from.

And next week he will however I thought I'd get the heads up first.

I think he may be quoting pre-2001 16th edition. The newer regs have gone the way of equipotential bonding as opposed to disconnection times, there are still certain items which require RCD protection and must disconnect within 0.04s @ 5xI/\n and 0.2s/0.3s at I/\n depending on the BS no of the RCD. If the item is fed by an MCB the efli of its circuit should be low enough to ensure a disconnection of 0.1s as in the regs the min current required for 0.1s to 5s disconnection times is the same.

Page 15 of Guidance note 7 states the following:

1.4 Protection against electric shock
Bathrooms and Shower rooms
Disconnection times for circuits supplying current-using equipment are no longer 0.4s. However, 30 mA RCDs are to be fitted to circuits of certain items of current-using equipment (see Table 1B)

Not sure if this helps but I posted a similar question recently and this is where it led me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back