Regulations request: Depth of domestic gas pipe in concrete screed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning knowledgeable ones,

Could anyone possibly point me to the written regulations regarding how much cover a domestic gas pipe must have when buried in concrete screed?

I should be clear that I am not trying to work out what I can achieve, but rather make the case that a gas pipe should be replaced. Background: We have a 1980s property that looks very much like it was built entirely by apprentices on their first Friday afternoon. Basically, the existing gas pipe has been found to only have concrete cover of approximately 3mm! In other news, the 100A tails from meter to CU were also buried in the wall under the plaster, outside a safe zone and with a similar level of cover...

I've tried googling but can't find the exact regulation which says what the requirement is for buried pipes so any help would be gratefully received.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You may well find there isn't a specific detailed reg , just "codes of practice".

This gives one tape info. This one something like trad Denso tape. I had someone use it but didn't see, also there's one with silicone. Cost a lot for a roll.
There's a BStandard referenced here - those aren't freely available.

There's https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2018/139/made which updated the 1998 one:
Referenced https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/books/l56.htm but afai can see it doesn't say, nor does Bldg Regs D.

It will depend whether the floor has people walking over it. IIRC if the answer's yes then you need 40 recommended 50mm, otherwise 25 iirc..

Problem you may find is that if you cut say 75mm for the pipe + screed, you might hit/go through a dpm (plastic sheet), which also aren't always as deep as they should be.
Pipe has to be tested before any tape is applied, etc etc etc.

It's the sort of thing on which, was corgi now Gas Safe, change their minds on as time goes by so they can charge the oiks who get tested on it. You could try ringing GSR.

Gas and leccy also have to be kept apart, 25-50mm depending who you ask and 150 for meters (and some fittings depending who you ask), it depends what's between them.
That's in a BS.

In all cases obviously employ a professional, who will of course know chapter and verse on all the regulations, ha ha. And have all the relevant BS's, IGE/UP COP and other "normative documents" ha ha ha.

Sponsored Links
Did you ever get this sorted? I have a similar problem. My gas pipe is only fitted just 2 courses below my damp course. I want to lower my path to by 2 courses but if I did this the gas pipe coming into my house would be exposed.

But the gas pipe could presumably be lowered so that it is adequately below your new path.

The required depth will depend on what the gas pipe is made of. Usually plastic or steel.

And to a degree how your new path is to be finished.

Did you ever get this sorted? I have a similar problem. My gas pipe is only fitted just 2 courses below my damp course. I want to lower my path to by 2 courses but if I did this the gas pipe coming into my house would be exposed.
is it your actual feed from street into the house that will be exposed

is it your actual feed from street into the house that will be exposed
Yes, the main feed; however, it looks to be coming across from my neighbours. My neighbour's path is on a higher level than mine, so theirs is probably in regulation guidelines

But the gas pipe could presumably be lowered so that it is adequately below your new path.

The required depth will depend on what the gas pipe is made of. Usually plastic or steel.

And to a degree how your new path is to be finished.
That is my hope. I'd be happy to do the digging, but I would need the gas supplier to lower/ refit it. It looks like it would have never been right, at least to current standards. I don't want to be charged loads of money for moving it. Also, I don't want to be in a position where I can't leave and just put my path back to how it was because that still wouldn't be deep enough and not regs.

Yes, the main feed; however, it looks to be coming across from my neighbours. My neighbour's path is on a higher level than mine, so theirs is probably in regulation guidelines
you will have to contact cadent or whoever covers your area if its going to left exposed and pay to have it dropped down, 18 inches is the recommended depth .
Have seen cost vary from about 300 to around 750 Do you know if its a plastic pipe or a steel pipe

you will have to contact cadent or whoever covers your area if its going to left exposed and pay to have it dropped down, 18 inches is the recommended depth .
Have seen cost vary from about 300 to around 750 Do you know if its a plastic pipe or a steel pipe
Hello. I think plastic its yellow. It also has some sort of cloth or very thick glue on it. Is that a sign it has been repaired in the past or is that just how how they join them? I haven't dug it up further as I have only dug up the area around my drain, which was the start of the whole situation.

Is there any way they would accept it was improper installation and waiver the fee?

Without seeing it then it is difficult for me to come to a conclusion.

However yellow plastic is quite flexible and I would have thought it might be possible for you to dig a trench under it and just push it down into your trench. Probably bedded into about 100 mm of soft sand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back