Rehanging radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Useful site for a new homeowner like me - first post!

I've been looking for a post on how to rehang a rad. I've seen several on related topics, but I need a complete novice's guide - can anyone point me in the right direction please?

The issue is a radiator that has 'dropped' on one side, so I suspect I need to replace bracket.

Cheers,
Paul

Sponsored Links
1. Turn off both rad valves.
2. Get drip trays an towels ready (or a wet vac).
3. Start to undo one of the valve-to-rad joints.
4. Collect the water - control the rate by undoing/doing up the vent plug.
5. When the rad is empty, do up the vent plug, remove the rad and turn it upside down while you sort out the brackets.
6. Mount rad and reconnect the valves.
7. Turn on and test for leaks.

If one of the rad valves doesn't fully shut off, then step 4 will take forever, in which case turn off the supply to the F&E cistern and drain the system.

Thanks for the advice

How is the water that has been removed from the system reintroduced when the job is done?

What system have you got? is it a standard system that has a boiler with a small header tank in loft? In this case it will fill automatically when you open the rad valves and bleed the radiator.

if it is a combi or system boiler you will need to add water via the filling loop, usually under the boiler somewhere until pressure guage reads about 1 bar or just over.

Let us know what boiler you have got ;)

Sponsored Links
It's a standard system.

Upon closer inspection the radiator is corroded, and leaking slightly near the two corrosion points (near valve on each side) - after shutting off the valves, I'm going to purchase a new one and fit.

The one thing that concerns me is the positioning of the new rad. If the new rad doesn't line up precisely with the existing pipes, how do I connect it?

Choose a rad that's the same or marginally smaller, and use either tail extension pieces, or adjustable tails, to adapt to the position of the pipework/valves.

Softus said:
1. Turn off both rad valves.
2. Get drip trays an towels ready (or a wet vac).
3. Start to undo one of the valve-to-rad joints.
4. Collect the water - control the rate by undoing/doing up the vent plug.
5. When the rad is empty, do up the vent plug, remove the rad and turn it upside down while you sort out the brackets.
6. Mount rad and reconnect the valves.
7. Turn on and test for leaks.

If one of the rad valves doesn't fully shut off, then step 4 will take forever, in which case turn off the supply to the F&E cistern and drain the system.

Or use bungs to snatch flow/return. (Cop for that Softus, thought that would have been your first advice )..:cool: Hang around , learn some......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back