rehung radiator, no water flow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there

sorry for the noddy question.

I have just rehung a radiator for someone (had been removed for a few weeks for decorating) and opened both valves but no water flowing through it. Have also tried opening bleed valve to let air in but nothing.

I'm not a plumber by any means so am puzzled as to whats wrong.

From what the home owner tells me nothing else has been touched or turned off

Could this be due to the type of system it has - i'm no plumber so am not aware of all that there are around. It's around a 1940s property????

thanks

andy

Sponsored Links
no air or water coming out? is it on a sealed system by any chance ? if so you may need to repressurise it. if not check the header tank is full and the ball cocks not stuck.

if it worked on the system before no reason why it won't work now.
try opening the valves over a bowl see if they are opening.

what type of system is it on ?

Sponsored Links
thats the thing, im no plumber so don't know what system it is.

I was simply asked to replace the radiator (and remove 2 others) which I have done, but feel a bit guilty about leaving it like this

I'm a mere handyman, but obviously not THAT handy it would seem.

Any quick criteria to determine the type of system?? I did ask the owner a few questions, but she didnt know much

What do i need to find out??

thanks for the super fast replies by the way!!!! knew i could rely on you!

andy

Make and model of the boiler would help.

IS there a gauge on the front and what does it read.

but feel a bit guilty about leaving it like this
should hope you do.
Any quick criteria to determine the type of system?? I did ask the owner a few questions, but she didnt know much

make/model of boiler
did you just isolate the rad valves and remove the rads or drain whole system ?

sorry don't know the answer to those

so what do i need to find out if i go back tomorrow in order to ascertain the type of system, and is getting it working it the realms of a proper plumber.

yes i did just isolate the valves and remove the rads

Check if it is a sealed system. If you find a tank in the loft, it probably isn't. If there is a pressure gauge on the boiler, it probably is, and if it is a combi, chances are good too.
If it is a sealed system, you need to top the water up to 1 bar cold.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back