Religious slaughter.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After our discussion yesterday I thought I would see what the RSPCA says on the matter, it would appear they are on the case.

I would like to know the RSPCA stance on slaughtering animals for religious beliefs and if you are doing anything about it?

Sent 05/06/2013, 10:44:16
US

Thank you for your enquiry.

We do share your obvious concern about religious slaughter and our Chief Executive has raised this issue directly with both Owen Paterson, the UK Secretary of State for the Environment Farming and Rural Affairs, and senior European Union Commission officials.
Scientific research has clearly shown that slaughter of an animal without stunning can cause unnecessary suffering, and so we are opposed to this practice without first making the animal insensible to pain and distress through pre-slaughter stunning. We can assure you that we will continue to press for changes in the law to this end in the UK and EU.
Meanwhile we are pleased to see that 88% of Halal slaughter in the UK is now pre-stunned while only 10% of Shechita (Kosher) slaughter is stunned immediately after the cut. We are also pressing UK faith leaders to improve these figures. Sadly the continental figures are far worse. We also believe that such meat should be labelled and that parents should know if this is being served in schools, as should patients in hospitals, residents in care homes and prisoners in jails.
The widespread abuse of the exemption for religious reasons by slaughterhouses here and abroad must stop. No faith should require innocent animals to suffer.

The RSPCA is working in a number of different ways to improve the welfare of farm animals at slaughter, including working on the issue of the slaughter of animals without pre-stunning. You can find details of our work in this area on our website here: www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/farm/slaughter/whatarewedoing/. Specifically regarding retailers and the slaughter of animals without stunning.

I hope this information is useful to you.

Kind regards
RSPCA Advice Team

Sponsored Links
in it's own right, cruelty to animals has no place in a civilised society.... my post this evening needs more attention... honour killings?!!! stoning to death?!!! .. genitally mutilated young girls.... ???? in that context, don't care about animals, sorry !

Sponsored Links
I applaud the RSPCA's efforts.

Unfortunately, as we all know, they are confronting a greater authority and so are unlikely to succeed.

Notice reading that the fact that the law allows animals to suffer due to halal

It says they need to press to change the law in order to take action.

ie It is now currently legal for animals to suffer in the name of Islam.

:unsure:

in it's own right, cruelty to animals has no place in a civilised society.... my post this evening needs more attention... honour killings?!!! stoning to death?!!! .. genitally mutilated young girls.... ???? in that context, don't care about animals, sorry !

I'm sorry Sombrero but my sympathies are always with the animals, the "human race" is not an endangered species, although I disagree with the things you quote I think we have more chance to stop this barbaric act at least taking place in our country and filling up the shelves of our local supermarkets.

I'm sorry Sombrero but my sympathies are always with the animals, the "human race" is not an endangered species, although I disagree with the things you quote I think we have more chance to stop this barbaric act at least taking place in our country and filling up the shelves of our local supermarkets.

Exactly. What these people do to each other doesn't affect me in the slightest. They have carried on like this since the dawn of time and will continue.

However, the civilised world has gradually realised that it has a duty to treat animals with a degree of respect and care. Animals, after all, are powerless in the face of human control.

People from primitive cultures should never be able to alter and undo the progress made in the humane handling of animals.

Get real you lot, we cause more suffering in factory farming, hypocrites!

Not from a big shouty blousy girl like you it isn't. If you've got nothing useful to say - you know where the door is.

Sponsored Links
Back