Relocating CH 'programmer' - What cable size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.. First post after weeks of lurking, so please be nice to the newbie!

I want to relocate my CH programmer/timer from the back of my first floor airing cupboard to room immediately below.

It is currently connected via 2 3-core flexes to the wiring centre which in turn is connected to a dodgy looking 3-pin socket in the airing cupboard, fused at (I think) 3 amps.

What size cable should I use for the drop to the new location? I assume 2.5mm T&E ( x 2 ) but anything smaller would be a bonus as it would be easier to run -- and the flex currently there - albeit for the very short 1 metre run - looks much smaller.

In case it's useful, info to help with answers:
- Access for a cable run is straight forward & approx 3-4 metres.
- The programmer/timer is a modern (honeywell) with standard backplate
- I'd also change to pick up power for the programmer / CH from the new location rather than the current dodgy looking 3pin which will have one of those safety 1-pin cover things put in so that it's out of use, pending an electrician removing it completely when the CU is changed next year - but I still need both cables as I'll have to take the unswitched supply back up to the CH wiring centre (& on to the boiler etc).
- The new supply connection will be switched FCU with same fuse rating as current plugtop.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
1.0mm² 6242Y or 6243Y is fine and fused at 3 Amps.

Do you have a Y-Plan or S-Plan, as the Y-Plan requires 1 extra conductor.

5 + E for Y-Plan and 4 + Earth for S-Plan.

1.0mm² 6242Y or 6243Y is fine and fused at 3 Amps.

Do you have a Y-Plan or S-Plan, as the Y-Plan requires 1 extra conductor.

5 + E for Y-Plan and 4 + Earth for S-Plan.

It's an S-Plan - more-or-less *. I've had the lid off the HC wiring centre and traced it all back because it wasn't immediately appearent which std plan it was. But still with S-Plan I need (as you say) 4+ Earth, so I will need two cables whether I used 2 or 3 core (+E).

If 1.0mm2 will do then I'll probably run 1.5mm instead as I've got loads... both are a heck of a lot more "workable" than 2.5mm --- unless someone else wants to contradict and say I need to use 2.5mm...

Thanks for the reply,

jpdw

----
* For some reason the switched-live from the zone valve "switches" to the boiler goes via a further stat which is clamped to the output circulator pipe of the boiler... best theory is that it was a bodge when the boiler wasn't functioning okay (before we bought the place)... which is it now & the boiler will be replaced next year anyhow.

As the system is fused at 3A and 1.0mm rated at 11A, no need for 2.5mm rated at 27A.

Sponsored Links
I've been checking the exact route today and think my 3-4 m estimate is a bit low ... It may be as much as 8 metres by the time the cables are routed from end-to-end.

It will be a mix of surface conduit and cable clipped. With some of the cable clipped stretch in the ceiling/floor void.

Will this make a difference to the cable choice? Whilst there is some "headroom" in current carrying max of 11A (from the 3A rating of the FCU supplying it), will this new distance & installation method make a significant enough distance to have to use something bigger?

Thanks...

No, Max 72M in length, 3A Load for 1.0mm² with a 6A B Type Mcb.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back