Relocating oven near stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, hopefully this is the correct section for this question.

In my kitchen, the stairs encroach a bit into the corner. We are looking at changing the kitchen layout, and want to put the oven in that corner in a tall unit.

What I'm wondering is; are there any fire regulations that we would be breaking by putting an oven under the stairs in the kitchen?

I've attached a pic of the corner in question, please excuse the mess!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-09-15 at 09.51.39.png
    Screenshot 2019-09-15 at 09.51.39.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 314
Sponsored Links
What way will the Oven door Face? Will it's back be on the same wall as the kitchen door or hopefully Not where the Microwave plugs in? So the kitchen door doesn't swing towards it?

421.1.2 Fixed equipment shall be selected and erected such that it's temperature in Normal operations will not cause a fire. this shall be achieved by the construction of the equipment or by additional protective measures taken during erection.

Some fireproof plasterboard suitably placed above it would offer some additional protection in the event of a fire but so will normal plasterboard.

Last edited:
Oven was planned to be facing the same way as the fridge / microwave currently face, and so yes the kitchen door would collide with the oven door if they were both open.

Rehang the door so it opens out
Or convert the kitchen door to sliding

Some oven sounds have a sliding door that tucks into the base of the oven rather than taking up floor space

Sponsored Links
If the oven door is hung the other way, i.e. opposite way to current fridge, the danger is someone getting something out the oven will need to stand behind the kitchen door so it's six of one and half a dozen of the other.
I think moving the oven to that space is not a good idea from a safety point.

Thanks for your feedback guys, I'm now planning to put it at the opposite side of the kitchen. Needed to get the positions figured before the electrician arrives on friday!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back