Remind me again about the benefits of migrant workers.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sponsored Links
Roll up, roll up. Anyone and everyone, no health checks, freedom of movement etc. Come over here, pick our crops and bring the disease with you. Don’t worry, we'll look after you. :cautious:

"It employs about 200 seasonal pickers and packers from Eastern Europe to help with the crop".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-53381802
Why do you assume they brought it with them? As I understand it the main influx of migrant pickers was well over a month ago, so they probably caught it here.

Why do you assume they caught it here? Is there a virus breakout locally because that doesn’t seem to have been mentioned? In any case, housing migrant workers like battery hens just so that we can have cheap vegetables is asking for trouble when there are infections about. Employ locals at a decent wage and put the price of vegetables up. It shouldn’t always be about money - why does everything have to be the cheapest no matter where it’s from as there’s usually a human price to be paid? Same with the Leicester breakout. Goods produced to a price by employing cheap labour and poor working conditions.

Last edited:
Why do you assume they caught it here? Is there a virus breakout locally because that doesn’t seem to have been mentioned? In any case, housing migrant workers like battery hens just so that we can have cheap vegetables is asking for trouble when there are infections about. Employ locals at a decent wage and put the price of vegetables up. It shouldn’t always be about money - why does everything have to be the cheapest no matter where it’s from as there’s usually a human price to be paid? Same with the Leicester breakout. Goods produced to a price by employing cheap labour and poor working conditions.
And so your response is to attack the victims of the infection.

Why do I think they probably caught it here? Because if they were flown over in April then it doesn't have an 8 week incubation period.

Sponsored Links
Why do you assume they caught it here?

He does it because he has an innate hatred of foreigners so his first assumption is to blame them for everything.

Sadly UK's record on CV control is very bad, so people from other countries will reasonably hesitate before risking their lives to come here.

Come on Mottie - they more than likely caught it here, we were the country in Europe with the most infections remember? This disease also doesn't show any symptoms at all in some which is another reason why it's so hard to control. Don't blame foreigners, it makes no sense, especially as you don't even know someone brought in with them.

I feel sorry for them, as you put it, treated like battery hens, nice. No wonder the locals don't want the job... even though it was advertised.

https://www.herefordtimes.com/news/...rm-launches-appeal-160-local-pickers-packers/

Last edited by a moderator:
Mottie hates foreigners that come over here to care for our elderly, do hard manual labour like picking crops, working in the NHS as porters, cleaners, nurses etc etc.

As people start to move about, the authorities are realising that not everyone is being honest with their Covid data. If nobody tests, then fewer cases are reported ;)
Greece is having the same issue with its land border, again from countries with very low Covid infections. I see Nicola queen of Scots also wants border checks.

Quite apart from all that stuff they can and are exploited by the hoy polloy, who own most of the big farms, care homes and the NHS, which is owned and run by the government all of whom are hoy polloy. Most of these people are paid wages far below the national minimum and that is the main reason why the hoy polloy don't like Brexit. That source of extremely cheap labour will dry up. Are you one of the hoy polloy Notch7? I think you are.

As people start to move about, the authorities are realising that not everyone is being honest with their Covid data. If nobody tests, then fewer cases are reported ;)
Greece is having the same issue with its land border, again from countries with very low Covid infections. I see Nicola queen of Scots also wants border checks.
Excess deaths are visible. UK has had more than 60,000

In my district, in March and April, crematoria were running double shifts and you couldn't get through to undertakers on the phone. Coffins ran out.

Quite apart from all that stuff they can and are exploited by the hoy polloy, who own most of the big farms, care homes and the NHS, which is owned and run by the government all of whom are hoy polloy. Most of these people are paid wages far below the national minimum and that is the main reason why the hoy polloy don't like Brexit. That source of extremely cheap labour will dry up. Are you one of the hoy polloy Notch7? I think you are.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoi_polloi

:LOL: :LOL:

Hey Pete, ignoring your Hoi Polloi error, the rest of your post doesnt really follow.

You are trying to say that UK businessmen have exploited cheap Eastern European labour for their businesses -that is largely untrue.

The biggest problem the care and agricultural sectors face is getting English people to work in those roles at all, not to do with pay rates.

You are right however to suggest the the wealthy in this country want to exploit people -which is exactly the reason why they want Brexit: to deregulate this country and avoid those pesky workers rights and be allowed to avoid paying tax.

Actually NHS recruitment used to go to Europe, especially Spain and try their hardest to get nurses etc -they wouldnt do that by offering the lowest pay rates, would they?

construction is a key place where Eastern European workers were paid at rates far below the going rate. However you will find the big construction companies are all owned and run by directors that are pro Tory, pro Brexit.

If you want a fairer society with good workers rights, you would be better to want to stay in Europe and have a Labour govt.......but you voted for Johnson and Brexit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back