Remind me again about the benefits of migrant workers.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Pete, ignoring your Hoi Polloi error, the rest of your post doesnt really follow.

You are trying to say that UK businessmen have exploited cheap Eastern European labour for their businesses -that is largely untrue.

The biggest problem the care and agricultural sectors face is getting English people to work in those roles at all, not to do with pay rates.

You are right however to suggest the the wealthy in this country want to exploit people -which is exactly the reason why they want Brexit: to deregulate this country and avoid those pesky workers rights and be allowed to avoid paying tax.
Evidence?

or is this a notchy-fact i.e. opinion?

Sponsored Links
Evidence?

or is this a notchy-fact i.e. opinion?

Why are you holding notchy to a higher level than our Government?

:p

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/da...ing-club-behind-130m-donations-to-the-tories/

Well it's all on the electoral commission website and Russians do like donating to the Tories, I wonder why.

"Lubov Chernukhin, wife of one of Putin’s former ministers, gave the Tories £325k in the first quarter of the year, including £45k to play tennis with Boris Johnson She’s now given the party £1.6m in the past five years, making her the biggest female political donor in UK history"

The data is on the electoral commission website.

Still waiting for the Russia report - I am sure if there was any Labour involvement the report would have been out in an instant - so why do you think the Government is sitting on it?

It does beg the question as to why certain people continue to bang on about those 'foreigners' and blaming them for all manner of 'ills' when they've won their pyrrhic victory'?

Maybe it's to deflect from their own activities?

Take for example those who gloat about milking the system and getting paid for work that they weren't going to do anyway.
Aided and abetted of course by family members because they 'like it both ways'...

We are apparently currently 'at war' with this virus, and 'all in it together'...

The last time we were 'at war' and 'all in it together' there were many fine examples of the best behaviour, but sadly also examples of the worst behaviour that a minority of our 'indigenous population' chose to show...

Make no mistake these scumbags were present all over the UK.
Even in Essex.

They took advantage to the detriment of others and boasted about it...

Another time, another 'war'...

But the spivs are still out there!

Aren't the last two posts, what certain members would call - "whataboutery"?

Sponsored Links
Why migrant workers? Because the alternative is collapse of British farming and you'll have to buy all your food from abroad.

Unless you can think of a way to get lazy English in the fields 12 hours a day, miles from home, in all weathers, we need to bring in experienced, resilient, hard working migrants.

They probably got it after going to the pub.

Last edited:
Aren't the last two posts, what certain members would call - "whataboutery"?
The above as well as you asking for evidence from Notch - I don't see you asking for evidence with Mottie's original post!

Funny ol' forum this.

Roll up, roll up. Anyone and everyone, no health checks, freedom of movement etc. Come over here, pick our crops and bring the disease with you. Don’t worry, we'll look after you. :cautious:

"It employs about 200 seasonal pickers and packers from Eastern Europe to help with the crop".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-53381802

I don't understand the logic- if you want them to work in the UK, they pay their taxes but then you want to deny them use of public services like the NHS- what do you want indentured labour - which came after the abolition of slavery. Looks like you want to go back in time again.

Last edited:
I think you'll find it was the British industrial revolution that invented it.

These sweatshops in Leicester have prospered because we have cut back on health and safety inspections.

Excellent article in the FT.

https://www.ft.com/content/0b26ee5d...38de18c?utm_source=pocket-newtab-global-en-GB

Leicester’s sweatshops, which comprise part but not all of the city’s garment sector, were an open secret even before my investigation began. In fact, a senior Whitehall official first told me about them. A local official in Leicester warned me in 2018 that, if I published my story, I would cause mass unemployment for people with no other options. In fact, nothing changed. After publication, I was invited to testify at a parliamentary select committee hearing into the costs of online fast fashion. The government rejected every one of the committee’s recommendations.

RAC, Mottie etc blame the people. First they say they are lazy and take our jobs and now they blame them for working too hard in sweatshops.

Taking our jobs, taking our benefits, working too hard. (y)

Last edited:
As I mentioned, I saw them in Coventry in the early 90s when I lived there. They are not unique to Leicester, and the conditions are probably no worse than how almost all factory workers worked 40-50 years ago.

It's another case of most people having it easy for so long they forget what hard work is.

We criticise factory workers making our clothes
We criticise farm workers harvesting our food
We criticise our NHS for saving our lives (although we recently did some clapping to make up for decades of abuse)

As I mentioned, I saw them in Coventry in the early 90s when I lived there. They are not unique to Leicester, and the conditions are probably no worse than how almost all factory workers worked 40-50 years ago.

It's another case of most people having it easy for so long they forget what hard work is.

We criticise factory workers making our clothes
We criticise farm workers harvesting our food
We criticise our NHS for saving our lives (although we recently did some clapping to make up for decades of abuse)
And yet many of those who claim benefits that they aren't entitled to still flock to primark
Or use 'our NHS'
Or eat subsidised food...

And then boast about how they are 'playing the system'!

As Mottie pointed out, many migrant workers are taken advantage of and poorly housed, just so we can get cheap food. If working conditions and wages were increased, there may not be the need for migrant workers and indigenous unemployed could do the job ( only if it paid enough to get them off, or reduce their benefits). Yes, we would have to pay more for food, and then perhaps it would be appreciated more, and not thrown away. Primark is another example (other companies are the same) cheap clothes and other goods which end up in landfill as it's cheap enough to be disposable, a pair of shoes worn half a dozen times, then binned. I remember Asda doing jeans at £3 a pair, not worth washing them at that price.

I remember Asda doing jeans at £3 a pair, not worth washing them at that price.
I hate clothes shopping and will look after them no matter the price. Do people really just chuck perfectly good clothes out?

Mottie must laugh his head off at you lot....Makes a tongue in cheek statement and sits back watching you all launch yourselves into orbits of outrage.Casts and sits back watching you all bite...Never fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back