Remortaring the patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just spent a warm (wet) Sunday jetwashing the patio and , three hours and two changes of shoes later, have made it come up sparkling. I noticed while I was doing it that a lot of the original mortar has crumbled away, almost to nothing in some cases, and that there are now huge gaps between the slabs and the occasional weed poking through. I would love to kill the weeds off and remortar the entire area so it looks like new but have never attempted anything quite so ambitious in the garden before. What would I need to accomplish this and would I need to remove all the old mortar first? Is there an alternative perhaps that I haven't thought of?

By the way, a little tip, don't point a jetwasher directly at loose soil! I was picking it out of my teeth.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
No, you've blown it!! You'll have to re-point it. I would suggest that you dig out the old mortar, apply some weedkiller and spend happy hours on your hands and knees re-mortaring.

This here is an excellent website for telling you useful things like how to do it, mixes, colours etc, etc.

Good Luck! :)

Ah sorry, should have been more clear. It wasn't my blasting shenanigans that stripped the mortar, it's just very old and had crumbled anyway. I just got the urge to fill it in, having made the slabs look nice again. I'll check that link out... thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back