Remounting Meter & Incoming Supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a modern digital 3ph meter which was installed about 4 years ago (meter located in the kitchen of a 60's bungalow) along with PME earthing. However, the meter and incoming fuses / connection blocks are still mounted on what looks like the original chipboard backboard. This has seen better days, and a couple of the connection blocks are a bit wobbly. Crucially though, I would like to relocate the fuses / connection blocks higher up to gain some room for a bigger CU, which is to be mounted on the adjacent wall.

My electrician cannot obviously do any of this as it will involve removing meter seals, so my question is, is it something my electricity supplier (BG / Siemens) will do if I provide a new backboard ready to fix to the original mounting locations in the wall, and new longer meter tails?

If so, will say 18mm ply be suitable?

Oh, and yes I know I should just call my supplier and ask, but just know I will get some call-centre muppet that won't know what the hell I'm talking about! :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
ring your electric company

they will only allow meters to be fitted to there own board. I had a job last year where we installed 2 new CU's on a 18mm plyboard, Southern Electric came to put in the 2 new meters underneath they insisted on putting their board onto ours

if the existing one isn't up to the job anymore ak for it to be replaced

And that eleccy board is a bit damaged too

When they come around to fix it you can conveniently say you just happen to have a new one you would prefer to use, and while armed with tea & chocolate biscuits the engineer may well put your up instead. :D ;)

Sponsored Links
To save the cost of moving it, leave the meter where it is & run a submain to where you want your new CU.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back