rotten board

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The timber board that my incoming fuse and meter are mounted on is rotten from damp and has crumbled away what is left is now hanging off the wall. the timber is so rotten that it is impossible to refix to the wall . whose responsibility is it to replace the timber? surely the suppliers as i would have to break their seals to get into fuse carrier and meter to access screw holes. The damp walls have been treated and are now dry.any opinions ? i dunno.

bigbob

Sponsored Links
It's the property of the DNO.

But good luck in tracking down anyone who will organise a repair for you....

IIRC the homeowner is supposed to provide the surface for them to fix to, but I noticed when a service head was replaced recently on an old house, they provided and fitted a new piece of particle board and stand-off spacers as well.

If you contact the company that sends you electricity bills they will liaise with the network co or meter agent to refix it, if they expect you to provide anything they will tell you. If it is not an emergency I find you get a better (but slower) response by writing a short, businesslike letter with all the facts, than by phoning and trying to get the message passed on by the call centres in Dunfermline and Mumbai.

BTW I don't know if there is any objection to this these days, but I like to fix laminated chipboard of a size and shape of my choosing, and space it off the wall by screwing through white plastic caps off coke bottles (!)

pull the fuse and do it meself? is it really a big deal? should i just do it? they were allready cut mate. it was like that when i got here scenario ?

Sponsored Links
How about if you fix a new board yourself, behind the old one, tack the old one to it as best you can (Blu-tak?) while you wait for the owners to take the seals off and fix it properly?

like it john v good idea. am a bit worried about bending the incoming cable 2 much though. might use your idea still.need 2 think ,have already cut seal to main fuse so might as well chop the meter ones aswell (thinking outloud)

leave room on that new board for a 100A DP isolator. Very handy thing.

Electricity Board always used to replace rotten meter boards FOC, fairly sure current set up is the same. They can get a bit shirty if there is anything other than their kit on it though and have been known to charge for getting CUs moved off "their" board

But I think you're allowed an isolator and Henley blocks

Yes, thats OK, its just CUs and any other accessories, bell t/fs and the like

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back