Removable Staff Beads on sash windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I recently restored my first sash window and it was a time consuming process to say the least, as I removed all the built up paint and added new staff and parting beads with built in draft proofing. The advice was to prime the windows whilst out of the frame, but to paint the windows in situe, (so as to not get sticky paint where the wood rubs against each other I assume) However having gone to all the trouble to remove the paint from the windows themselves I am unble to gain easy acces to reach the outside bits of wood while the windows are in the frame, so i kinda regret not painting them when they were off.

I'm about to embark upon 2 more larger windows, but this time I'd like to try and get a system in place where I can easily remove the staff beads in the future so that I can paint or clean the windows out of the frame in the future. So I'm thinking of some kind of plastic dowel connector betweenthe staff bead and the frame or something similar. (I've nicked the idea from a restoration company called ventrola who are too expensive to pay to do this)

Can anyone reccomend any decent DIY solutions? Ta.

this is what I am talking about: 8:44minutes into the video http://www.ventrolla.co.uk/services/ventrolla_video/ the popper sytem.

Sponsored Links
I couldn't get the video to play but I think I can remember ventrolas system from when I've worked with them.
To save on expense simply screwing is your best option.
Fix the staff beads with inset cups and screws, slotted look better and are easier to clean out if they get painted and attach the cords to the sashs with screws too, easy to remove or adjust but do remember to put a tempoary screw through the cord at the top by the pully.

hi , we have just used some simplex baton rod screws which fasten the staff bead to the side frame quickly . You can buy them from Reddiseals and Pickard hardware about £1 each in brass

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back