Removal of gallow bracket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help! Had my chimney breast removed and resin set gallows brackets have been used as support (as agreed by structural engineer).

However, the resin we have used to secure the bolts has not set and very soft. Because of this we've been told that it's not safe and over time the bracket may eventually give way. The bolts are in tightly at the moment but we just want in re-doing.

How can we get the brackets off?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
If the resin hasn't cured, then just crowbar the brackets off, and start again
But put temporary supports in place first

Or if space and funds permit fit new brackets with fresh and well mixed resin and then (if possible) remove the present ones,.

Ok thank you! And in terms of the resin bar that is in the hole, how would you suggest getting that out?

Sponsored Links
Leave the resin in the hole, and any unwanted metal still attached to the wall can be removed using a hack saw or an angle grnder.

Unless the bricks above the gallows brackets are seriously loose, then you can take it off and not worry. And if they are loose, then repack them when the bracket goes back on.

Use an angle grinder to get take the heads off of the bolts, and just leave the old bolts and resin in place. Drill new holes on the angle bracket, and then new holes in the wall. If you can't drill new holes in the bracket, then take out another layer of bricks, and reinstate the bracket further up - assuming you can of course. If there's a local metal work company nearby, they'll drill the holes for a few quid.

the resin we have used to secure the bolts has not set and very soft.

Have you used bolts?

Normally with resin fixings it's either studs or threaded bar.

The tolerance for the drilled hole and the stud is specific - the resin acts only as an adhesive and not as a filler.

If the resin hasn't set (unusual) then surely the bolts can be removed?

Crowbar may well be a good suggestion if the resin is soft. Gallows brackets are only used to stop the upper bricks dropping down; there's actually no structural reason for them. Did you blow the dust out of the holes before putting in the resin.

Gallows brackets are only used to stop the upper bricks dropping down; there's actually no structural reason for them.

Totally untrue, they are essential........ people have been killed when an un-supported chimney stack has fallen through the ceiling and onto the bed in the enlarged bedroom below

They are there to stop the chimney stack from falling off the wall as mortar deteriorates.

Some advice here

How long has the resin been setting?. As far as I know all polyester resin is pre-catalysed and what you add is an accelerator, despite people calling it a catalyst. Try getting on to the manufacturers they should have some recommendations. Have the gunk to hand to read batch number as it would seem to be faulty.
Frank

You may have misunderstood my intentions BG, I never said they weren't essential, nor did I say anywhere not to put it back. I was just trying to point out how they worked. As they aren't structural, you don't need to overly panic if you've got to take it down, and reinstall it. As a chimney is tied into the party wall as it's being built, it's only the lower three or four courses of bricks that would drop, but this could definitely kill someone if it all goes together, and it's actually only this part that the gallows bracket is supporting. The guy in the video went completely OTT in the way he's secured the chimney.

Gallows brackets are only used to stop the upper bricks dropping down; there's actually no structural reason for them.

Totally untrue, they are essential........ people have been killed when an un-supported chimney stack has fallen through the ceiling and onto the bed in the enlarged bedroom below

They are there to stop the chimney stack from falling off the wall as mortar deteriorates.

Some advice here

Thank you for this video, it's been very useful

How long has the resin been setting?. As far as I know all polyester resin is pre-catalysed and what you add is an accelerator, despite people calling it a catalyst. Try getting on to the manufacturers they should have some recommendations. Have the gunk to hand to read batch number as it would seem to be faulty.
Frank
Frank

Frank
Frank

The resin has been curing for 4 months at least, reckon we must have had a faulty batch

Crowbar may well be a good suggestion if the resin is soft. Gallows brackets are only used to stop the upper bricks dropping down; there's actually no structural reason for them. Did you blow the dust out of the holes before putting in the resin.
Not too sure as it was someone else whose done it for us

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back