Removal of gallow bracket

Sponsored Links
it's only the lower three or four courses of bricks that would drop,
A friend of mine was a fireman, he attended an incident where all of an unsupported chimney stack collapsed. The stack above the roof also came down.
I hope the people were ok. We were going to just leave it and re-position beds away from where bricks may may fall, but not only can I not live like that but I could never live with myself selling it on

Sponsored Links
If all of the chimney fell, then they'd obviously taken away too much of the chimney in the loft, and gallows brackets wouldn't have done anything under those circumstances. If the new purchasers employed a structural surveyor, they'd check the loft and haggle over the price of the house; but a valuation survey very likely wouldn't pick it up.

How long has the resin been setting?. As far as I know all polyester resin is pre-catalysed and what you add is an accelerator, despite people calling it a catalyst. Try getting on to the manufacturers they should have some recommendations. Have the gunk to hand to read batch number as it would seem to be faulty.
Frank
How long has the resin been setting?. As far as I know all polyester resin is pre-catalysed and what you add is an accelerator, despite people calling it a catalyst. Try getting on to the manufacturers they should have some recommendations. Have the gunk to hand to read batch number as it would seem to be faulty.
Frank

The resin has been curing for 4 months at least, reckon we must have had a faulty batch

or possibly if it's one of those two part resins in a tube, then maybe not enough was pumped from the tube to mix it sufficiently.
Can't you just drill some new holes through the brackets and re do the resin and bolts.

When using the 2 part resins, you learn to ignore the first part that comes out of the tube, as it seldom mixes properly, as it may have excess liquid in it. With this sort of job, you normally drill the holes, and blow the dust out with a straw pushed into the bottom of the hole. Cut your threaded rod to allow a couple of inches exposed, then inject the resin and insert the rod turning it a little as you push it in. If you've judged the amount of resin to put in the hole, then you wont push out too much excess resin, but wipe away anything that does. Let the resin harden, put the gallows bracket back on, add the washers, and then the bolts, and finally tighten things up.

If the job had been done this way, you'd have realised that the resin hadn't set properly, and this is one of the best reasons or not doing the job in situ. The other being that you'd have to drill and oversized hole in the bracket support to be able to get the resin and bolt in, and then you'd need oversized washers to cover the too large hole, and the bracket may then drop slightly.

You could possibly use resin capsules, (I haven't yet) but I've heard they can be a bit tricky to use.

I hope the people were ok.
I cannot remember the details but there were injuries.

If all of the chimney fell, then they'd obviously taken away too much of the chimney in the loft
I don't know how much was removed in the incident my friend attended.

In a more recent one the entire stack in the loft had been left in place. It detached from the wall and fell vertically through the ceiling. It isn't clear if it detached in one lump or over time brick by brick until the ceiling collapsed under the weight of the pile of brick and the vibration from that fall loosened the rest of the stack

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back