Removal of Rudge domed ceramic(?) indices

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

My Rudge bath pillar taps are about 5 years old (I believe they pre-date the sale of Rudge in 2003 - I can't find my design on the Rudge website but they are a very traditional design). I need to change the washer but having removed the main head gear on the tap body the stem assembly will not lift out of the body.

I'm assuming it may be attached by a screw hidden below the domed ceramic (or is it really plastic?) indices but I'm concerned about damaging these as I believe I cant get new ones. Can someone please advise if they will have a screw fixing and how the indices should be removed? Rudge technical support could not help me.

I can forward a photo if it helps. The domed indices bear the words "Rudge & Co Est 1901" around the H & C symbols.

Thanks for your help
David

Sponsored Links
Hi David

Do they look anything like mine? If so they're probably threaded.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=138671

However I would hold much hope for removing them without damage as the thread has probably seized like mine, but thankfully I can purchase replacements.

Lea

The indices are stuck on with double sided adhesive pads.

I managed to remove one by soaking in solvent (cellulose thinners worked for me and didn't remove the legend - no guarantees here; I had no luck with white spirit or alcohol). I then twisted the index using both thumbs on the circumference of the dome (other people say that you can twist with a pencil eraser but this didn't provide enough grip in my case). I twisted the index clockwise and anticlockwise until the pad became detached from the tap.

Hope this helps someone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back